• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Demons in my Modem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paupton

Figure this out!!!!!! My bellsouth DSl 3.0 mb Internet service has been crawling. I have been having a wild fluctuation of download speeds. Sometime as low as 250kbps. It can go up to 1.5 or so and then drop off again. The upload is fine. I had a tech come and check out my wiring. There are no wire or hardware problems that show up on their meter. At the pole in service box the speed was 3550kbps. At the junction where service attaches to my house is 3550 kbps. At the phone cable where it plugs into the modem is 3550 kbps. With a new network cable I ran service to my router from the modem. Got the fluctuation on three different computers. All did the same thing. I bypassed the router straight to a computer and still got the low pings. On one side of the modem I get 3550 on the other side I get 250 up. I changed modems as well, both did the same thing. I have no alarm system at my home. No infared devices i know of. This one stumps me. Any one had this problem?

allan

Mutliple issues. Routers die... it happens. Tried connecting direct? to the modem? Log into modem and see what speeds it it registering...its fine? If so... all your PCs are networked, if you can try removing all PCs from network and do a fresh install with 3rd party firewall, then connect.. See if you register anything (to eliminate viruses..)

tried it all

I have bypassed the router and connected only 1 computer to the modem direct from computer to modem. Still got very slow speeds. Chnaged out to another modem of different type and still the same. The speed is to the modem just not from the modem to the computer. This is freaky.
any other suggestions?

Modems die too! I would see if you could get that replaced. I honestly wonder if it got a bad provision or an incomplete provision on it.

modem

I did get a new modem. It did the same thing. Put the old one back in line and it did the same thing. Today I was back up to 2.5 mbps. This is just too wild. No explanation except demons in my modems.

We went through something similar, i foudn out later that it was due to the phone company upgrading the lines on a 20 mile stretch of road. after a few weeks all was well.

Back