• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding in Vista!!1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shell

Folding in Vista!!1? Slightly faster then XP?!!?

Everyone who folds on Windows Vista, post here!
I just finished a 1800 pointer project on XP(sorry, not for Team 32) so I decided to switch to Windows Vista and see how well I could fold compared to XP, and despite the fact that Vista is a memory hogg... somehow my folding performance is about 2% higher. :cool:
I'm dieing for the GPU F@H release to come out for Vista so I can put my GPU to use as well... even though... whenever my GPU is running at 3D clocks it's under load, if you know what I mean... *BOOMHEADSHOT*

There is one problem though... the visuals won't work, all I can do is fold with the classic dos-box with compatability mode... meh, it's a boring screensaver compared to Starfield. :p
Screenie:

Any news on a real Vista Release?

Is this folding at a good speed?
fastfoldervo5.jpg

EDIT: NOW at 150'000/500'000

Last edited:
ChasR said:
How did you measure the 2%?
Hot CPU Tester x64. When I run it on realtime on a single core my CPU score went up 2%... exactly 0% "improvement" with both cores compared to Windows XP x64.
Even though F@h is a 32 bit app, it's benchmark score is about 1% higher compared to Windows Home running on nude-mode.(aka, nothing running besides F@H) and I have Aero on.
I guess it's just because Vista has better thread management. :confused: Or mabe it's just more efficent, as I'd expect from a new OS.

Well, I just finished that 500'000 step process... about 6 hours ago. whoo... I went up a page... many more to go...

The benchmark in FAH is meaningless and varies by far more than 2% on each restart. If you really want to measure the effect on FAH you need to measure frame times from the same frames of the same WU when the machine is idle except for folding. You'd have to do this in XP and then in Vista. Any other method introduces too many variables to get a meaningful result.

Back