• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is it with SuperPI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

Everybody here posts a 1m SuperPi run like that means anything. You boot into Windows and run a 1m SuperPi does not mean that you are anywhere near stable. OC's can be stable enough to boot into Windows, run a 1m, do a CPUz validation, and fail everything else that you throw at it.

why do drag racers spend millions on their cars? you woulnd't drive it to the store to buy groceries would you?

sure, but those drag cars are at the very edge of stability, there are plenty of times they DO blow up 1/8th the way down the track.

super pi for most is just a way to see relative changes in speed after an overclock. i have run 15.89s at speeds that i can run ANY other benchmark at, 3.6ghz.

to others, super pi is the be all end all of their rig. they build machines for the sole purpose of taking down records....those people are the drag racers of overclocking. :)

SuperPI is only for people who want a quick benchmark / see how far their chip can go. I hope they don't use 1m as a stability test, let alone 32m.

SuperPI is a fun benchmark, you can push so far with CPU / Memory / chipset, it makes it a fun / quick benchmark.

As said it's not meant for prove a rig is stable, the job is left to the test like Prime95, or F@H. SuperPI is simply a way to try and get a lower time then everyone else and proving you have out done them, as you really cannot out stable someone when a chip already comes stable.

Outdone what? They prove they can up a FSB far enough to run Super Pi 1m? The skill in overclocking is stability.

I may be an idiot, but I only use SuperPi to find the obvious instabilities. If it fails 1m, you are lucky to even be in Windows. If it fails 32m, a setting needs to be adjusted or the oc backed off until it passes. When you find your max on 32m, then you let Orthos or 2 instances of prime run for a minimum of 8 hours, 24 more like it. Then at that point you can proudly say that I'm faster than you.

You can out stable someone the higher your speed goes. Someone running at 3.6 100% stable is better than someone doing a suicide just to see how high they can boot.

The C2D's are so brand new, noone can safely even give a guess as to what voltages they can take long term. As the extreme overclockers chips start popping...we'll know soon enough. :)

The answer to 'why do people do SuperPI at the edge of stability' which is how I read your posts...the reason is simple competition aka e-peen when it's over the internet ;)

Daddyjaxx said:
Everybody here posts a 1m SuperPi run like that means anything. You boot into Windows and run a 1m SuperPi does not mean that you are anywhere near stable. OC's can be stable enough to boot into Windows, run a 1m, do a CPUz validation, and fail everything else that you throw at it.

Daddyjax,
This is called a suicide run and many overclockers on this very site find a maximum suicide screenshot which would include a Spi1m, CPUZ, and validation shot. This is usually when your faster Spi1M comes out.

And as Madman stated, its more to increase the size of your e-p****s..
Myself personally, I do it to compete with Epox4Life and kick his ***.

Hope this helps.
PS- I use Orthos DC with 10 Priority for stability testing, as well as dual prime. They need to be at least 15 hour stable for me to even consider any kind of real world stability on the chip.

My 6600 and DFI 975X/G board will be here tomorrow. (Jumps for joy) and hopefully my Storm too. I want 3.0-3.1 and I'll be happy. A C2D at those speeds will absolutely trounce the 4400 X2 at 2.7 that I had.... :)

I will say in their favor the SPI competitor-types have respect and mutual admiration for each other, most I've seen are good sports. Unlike other online competitive things like gaming where people often just act like bratty kids regardless of age.

Daddyjaxx said:
My 6600 and DFI 975X/G board will be here tomorrow. (Jumps for joy) and hopefully my Storm too. I want 3.0-3.1 and I'll be happy. A C2D at those speeds will absolutely trounce the 4400 X2 at 2.7 that I had.... :)
Oh it sure will bro:
Check out this clock for clock comparison between my E6700 C2D @ 2.75Ghz vs. OChungrys x2 4400+ @ 2.75Ghz:
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4739994&postcount=94

I didnt pick those apps, he did. But it shows over a 20% improvement clock for clock.

Welcome to the dark side brotha.... :beer:

Daddyjaxx said:
Outdone what? They prove they can up a FSB far enough to run Super Pi 1m? The skill in overclocking is stability.

I may be an idiot, but I only use SuperPi to find the obvious instabilities. If it fails 1m, you are lucky to even be in Windows. If it fails 32m, a setting needs to be adjusted or the oc backed off until it passes. When you find your max on 32m, then you let Orthos or 2 instances of prime run for a minimum of 8 hours, 24 more like it. Then at that point you can proudly say that I'm faster than you.

You can out stable someone the higher your speed goes. Someone running at 3.6 100% stable is better than someone doing a suicide just to see how high they can boot.

The C2D's are so brand new, noone can safely even give a guess as to what voltages they can take long term. As the extreme overclockers chips start popping...we'll know soon enough. :)

Sorry to tell you but stability does not take nearly the skill benching does. For stability you run Prime95 and if it fails raise volts/lower speed. If I took my CPU and OCed it 2 Mhz and said wow it's stable what does that show? If I can take the same CPU everyone else has and tweak it and Windows to achieve better scores then anyone else it shows I know what I am doing. There is a reason everyone on this forum can do a stable OC yet only a very few in the entire world are breaking 10sec PI score. A lot of it is money yes, but once you are in that top area it is skill that will get you the top.

Daddyjaxx said:

Welcome to the other dark side :)

3-3.1Ghz will be easy, very easy. And should be easily accomplished on Stock Volts. If your lucky and got a good chip 3.4-3.6 might be able to be done within intel's max voltage spec.

Daddyjaxx said:

I aggree with you 100% it must be at least stable enough to run everything on your pc. My cpu fails orthos. after several hours 3.6ghz, 1.55vcore, but it can run everything else just fine. I can boot at 3.8ghz, but its not worth the risk of running the cpu over 1.55vcore, thats why for long-term use, im at 3.4ghz. I like a good overclock that wont crash my pc. I mean....the extra 200mhz wont really give me an fps boost, so its not worth it. But its still awsome to see a 5ghz conroe ;)

Daddyjaxx said:

setting a WR like OnePageBook's 8.9s run takes a LOT more than just blindly upping the fsb. it takes a VERY intimate knowledge of not just every tiny detail of the hardware, but also of every tiny aspect of the OS, registry, etc, etc... his tweaking ability is something that should be admired. you or i, even with a C2D at 6ghz would be hard pressed to get a better time.

another good example would be, if you or i followed the exact same training regimine as an olympic sprinter, i can promise you, we would not be breaking WR's in the 100m. it takes a certain type of person with the dedication, skill, and to a small degree luck, to be the very best in the whole wide world.

there are 2 very different types of overclockers. just realize that you aren't out to acheive the same things. that doesn't mean that you cannot respect what others strive to do.

we dont test for stability with 1 m... u kidding i am currently with my E6600 @ 3.960ghz runnign 12.782 sec super pi 1m's i am very close to 4ghz and thats what i want... a screen shot of cpu z saying that MY cpu is doing 4ghz... thats all i could care less about stability for that... but my stable oc is down at 3ghz where i dont even have to touch vcore for everyday use...

i mean only a select few can say that their core 2 duo can run at 4ghz :beer: and i am hoping to be one of thoes select few... but i am waiting for a COLD day.

You won't see me posting suicide shots. :) Well...not until the DFI Lanparty board comes out.... :) Then we can see if the Asus boards remain king. :) Wait a minute, I'm too chicken to go extreme. I put 1.58 into my 4400+ to get 2.75 and it was too much for my comfort level.

Another thing to realize is the term "stable" is relative to the person. Again using Prime95. It's one of the most trusted stability programs out there and passing it usually means you can run any game/application you would want. However Prime95 stable in no way means you are F@H stable, but the real question is do you need to be F@H stable if all you want to do is check your emails? In my mind no. Also why is this question not being asked about 3dmark? It is talked about much more the PI and it in no way means your stable either, it just means your 3dmark stable.

Back