• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 5.1 worth it for games only?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nevrsumr22

I'm going to upgrade my speaker system. I have a creative 2.1 setup and it sounds ok but it doesn't have enough bass punch for me and it gets a little distorted sometimes. If I have all the speakers in front of me will I notice anything from the 5.1? Basically the fronts and rears will be right next to each other so I'm not sure if I will get any better surround effect then just stereo. I'd rather spend the money on a better 2.1 than 5.1 if it's not going to do anything for me. I'm not even sure if games have discrete 5.1 encoded in them anyway.

Nevrsumr22 said:
I'm going to upgrade my speaker system. I have a creative 2.1 setup and it sounds ok but it doesn't have enough bass punch for me and it gets a little distorted sometimes. If I have all the speakers in front of me will I notice anything from the 5.1? Basically the fronts and rears will be right next to each other so I'm not sure if I will get any better surround effect then just stereo. I'd rather spend the money on a better 2.1 than 5.1 if it's not going to do anything for me. I'm not even sure if games have discrete 5.1 encoded in them anyway.
i love surround sound in my games :) movies too its awesome, im saving to get a better set but i like mine :)

I just got my Logitech z-530's, and I'm loving them. The bass is more than enough for me, and CS:S is a blast to play. HL2 as well. Next thing on the list is to watch some movies.

dan

Yes, games work with 5.1 surround sound, but you need to have it.. you know... surrounding you.. to have the effects.

Nothing is more intense than a game of UT2k4 in surround sound... Also gives you a slight tactical advantage, because you can hear where shots are coming from.

Lots of fun in CS too!

Owenator said:
I agree with the others that 5.1 is the way to go! You can hear "where" things are in-game. Kinda creepy in a quiet scary game but fun non the less. I can remember jumping the first time a panel fell down playing Doom III.

The only issue is sometimes speaker placement. Set them up like this: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

Oh I know how 5.1 is supposed to be setup and sound. I have a nice little home theater going but like I said I'd have to have the speakers in front of me so I was wondering if it's worth it. Seems like it wouldn't. My main thing is getting louder. I have a small desk right now and can't have speakers getting in the way behind it.

Man if I could find the Klipsch for $100 shipped I'd be all over it.

I just picked up Doom III Saturday. I played the demo a long time ago but it scared the crap out of me so I never bought it. Now I've played everything else so I paid the $20 for it. I freakin hate zombies!!!! lol

I second the klipsch promedia 2.1's, they're on my desktop computer, and downstairs I have my klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 setup with my laptop for surround sound and blasting music. Klipsch makes quality speakers!

How is the punch of the bass on gunshots and explosions on those? Can you crank it and not get it to bottom or distort? It would be right by my feet.

Is there anything close to those that are cheaper?

edit the Klipsch I mean

I play my mixes [Ragga-Jungle/Drum & Bass] through them, and have yet to get them to distort. They are worth every single penny...... TRUST!

5.1 is GREAT. but then again, it all depends on your needs.

You need to make sure you CAN set it up in the correct fashion, to get the full effect. If you don't, it will be like a 3.1 setup. ( that is, Two on the left, Two on the right, Your center, and the Bass ).

Sadly, thats how i have mine setup right now, because i need some RCA cable's to extend the back two speakers behind me. and i just havn't done that yet ( i COULD do it now, but i don't want to be stuck walking on wires. I'll get some extenders, and rout tape the wires to the cealing hehe ).

If you don't have the Desk space, go for a really nice 2.1 Setup.

Also, it depends on how much cash you have too. The Logitech Z-530's ( which i'm using now ) are GREAT, and costs about 60 - 75 bucks. So the price isn't bad. But after these speakers, you can start paying some serious cash to get better ( well, if you look at the logitech brand that is ).

So if you don't have the Desk space, And don't want to spend alot, find a really good pair of 2.1's. See if you can find any deals on klipsch's everyone's talking about. you MAY even find a good deal on some bose speakers as well.

Krome said:
I play my mixes [Ragga-Jungle/Drum & Bass] through them, and have yet to get them to distort. They are worth every single penny...... TRUST!

That's cool. I'm into audio as much as computers so now that the computer is pretty much finished (until the next upgrade) its time to up the sound. This is me playing with my other toys. I just got a sub EQ (table) hooked up to the SPL meter running through the computer getting some measurments to dial it in a couple weeks ago.

IMG_0135.jpg

I used to put my rear speakers under the dek so I could at least get some sense of direction. Gotta say though first time I played a FPS with surround hooked up correctly... was being all sneaky sneaky..listening hard for footsteps or something cuz I could hear em faintly.

then from behind me BAM BAM BAM OMFG I jumped :) It was awesome.

Back