• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

better OCing value: conroe 6400 or 6300?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadyJ

Registered
Hi,

I want to build a Conroe system and OC it as far as I can with air cooling (I will get a Scythe Ninja plus) on a Asus P5B-E. Since I am going to OC, which is the better value for overclocking, the 6400 or the 6300?

If they both reach roughly the same frequency on air cooling before becoming non-functional, what's the point in spending the extra money for a 6400? But if the 6400 can go a significant distance further in OCing, it may be worth the extra dollars. Tell me what more I can expect to get with a 6400, if much at all.

Typicaly, your motherboard can do about 500FSB.. that limits you to 3.5Ghz with the E6300 and it it doesn't limit the E6400 at all for air really thats enough FSB to hit 4Ghz. And your not likely to push past 3.6-3.8 on air anyway.

If you dont get ram that can do 500FSB the chip selection isn't going to matter much.

And if your not willing to put more then 1.5Vcore though your CPU then again, its not going to matter much (and thats were the story ends for alot of people) with droop your going to generaly need more then 1.4Vcore to reach 3.5GHz with either chip.

Oh I give up! Somebody else will ask this question again in another thread in about 20 minutes. There will be 16 threads alternating between "6400 or 6300" "6400 or 6600?"

Get the 6400. Higher multi at the lowest price ratio between all the Core 2 Duos.

rainless said:
Oh I give up! Somebody else will ask this question again in another thread in about 20 minutes. There will be 16 threads alternating between "6400 or 6300" "6400 or 6600?"

Get the 6400. Higher multi at the lowest price ratio between all the Core 2 Duos.

ROFLMAO :clap:

Yea, its 40bucks extra and it can score you another 200+ mhz if you got what it takes ;)

oops, you're right, sorry about this redundant post. I think I will go with the 6400. This will be my first real attempt at overclocking, so expect to see more posts from me in the future because I'm scared I might mess up everything! I hope I won't be too much of an annoyance though!

If you can afford a few bucks more and want to make sure you aren't FSB limited, then go with the E6400.

i don't see many (any?) e6400's that are running day in day out faster than my e6300. at least not on these forums. :)

rainless said:

Rainless, I was just about to buy the 6600, but decided to take your advice and get the 6400. If it turns out to be a dog, you and me are going to rochambeau... and I'm going first! :D

hUMANbEATbOX said:
i don't see many (any?) e6400's that are running day in day out faster than my e6300. at least not on these forums. :)

Thats because you didn't get one :p

And who else is pushing as many volts though there allendale as you :sn:

greenmaji said:
And who else is pushing as many volts though there allendale as you :sn:

1.5v set in bios, 1.44v read by asus probe, 1.42v under load read by asus probe. i see others using more volts to get less clocks. i don't think i am being excessive. ;)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
1.5v set in bios, 1.44v read by asus probe, 1.42v under load read by asus probe. i see others using more volts to get less clocks. i don't think i am being excessive. ;)

Thats just it, I think your being too conserivive :eek: :sn: J/K

Back