• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Jinu117 Modded Vapochill LS is FINISHED!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Jin finished my Vapochill modifications and I should be receiving the unit back any day now. Here is the scoop. He took my completely stock Vapochill, swapped compressor to larger more efficient danfoss, he added a desuperheater coil, he re-gased with his own blend, he hadded two higher performance RPM sensing fans, and he tuned for -60*C performance and high CFM fan on the condensor. He was very fair on the cost of this considering my special cooling request of -60*C plus. Expect to be charged in the range of $300 to $500 for these mods.

My stock Vapochill LS would idle @ -24* probed and Asus P5B-Deluxe bios reported idle temps @ -25* to -26*C idle. EDIT* Let me re-adjust this post to include that my idle temps were probed with 1.62vcore and 4.2 Ghz on an E6600 conroe. Jins idle temps, had ZERO (no load on them)

After the modifications Jin reached -59.9*C K-Type probed idle temperatures!!!
Here are some pics from Jin Parks work area:

Idle temperature (no load) -60*C

7.jpg

70 Watts of Heat Load -47*C (example: E6700@3 Ghz @ 1.39vcore, dual priming for 10 minutes)
5.jpg

150 Watts of Heat Load -38.4*C

2.jpg

180 Watts of Heat Load -33*C

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

So this is the crazy part. Before Jins mods, my Vapochill would idle @ -24*C temperatures. And now, with 150 Watts of heat LOADED TEMPS of -36*C dont even come close to our old IDLE TEMPS. That is a huge gain.

Please note, Jin normally does not tune for -60*C. The condensor usually gets very hot at this level of tuning and you need noisy fans to cool it down. This was a special request of mine since I really want to find that golden CPU and be close if not on 5 Ghz.... :D

Thank you Jin!!!!!
I will post up more pics and temperature updates when I get the Vapo back in my hands.

Cheers. Dom

TEMP IMPROVEMENTS OVER IDEALLY PERFECT STOCK VAPOCHILL LS:

newjin.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice! Makes me want to send my Vapo into Jinn..;) Is it louder than before or quiter?

krag said:
Very nice! Makes me want to send my Vapo into Jinn..;) Is it louder than before or quiter?

Thanks Krag.
The whole idea of the Jinu117 mod to to do 2 things:

#1 By swapping compressor, adding coil, re-gas, and re-tuning is to decrease temps from 5 to 20 degrees C. In my case he tuned it a little different for close to 20*C better and -60*C idle.

And #2 Decrease the amount of noise significantly.

I will be able to comment on the noise when I receive the unit. But supposedly one of the main reasons people get Vapos modded are for noise. Jin does say noise is very well knocked down substantially with the new compressor.

Congrats on the new Vapochill Jinu there Dominick.

Jinu is one of the masters, and I can not wait to see what you will be able to do with one of his units.

Ad Rock said:
Congrats on the new Vapochill Jinu there Dominick.

Jinu is one of the masters, and I can not wait to see what you will be able to do with one of his units.

Thanks bro! :beer: I will be sure to keep you posted.

Nice to see the results. And nice results they are :D

But, how much more would it have been to just have him build a new custom unit? From my PM's with him it seems like it would only be $100-200 more.

greenmaji said:
Nice to see the results. And nice results they are :D

But, how much more would it have been to just have him build a new custom unit? From my PM's with him it seems like it would only be $100-200 more.

I spoke to him about this and personally asked him that same question. His units do not come with Vapo Evap and mounting system, which costs about $135 extra and he admits are better than any other evap/mount currently available. Plus, I already have an LCD and chill control. his units require another $100 over standard cost for an LCD and chillcontrol unit like the vapo has.

For a standard Vapo mod jin charges $375 plus shipping. His full production units start @ $650 + $100 for LCD (that my vapo has standard) = $750 +shipping for a custom unit with same components as my modded vapo. (with the exception of vapo evap/mount)

So, its around $700 for a new standard Jinu117 unit or around $375 for a modded vapo without shipping. What makes more sense to me? or another person in my boat that already owns a Vapo w/LCD, Chillcontrol, and good vapo ls Evap/Mount? The mod makes more sense and is over $300 cheaper.

Both a modded Jinu117 Vapochill and a Jinu117 custom single stage both have identical components and should produce exactly the same results.

Jins custom single stage:
production line #1.

Single stage unit in sturdy 16 gauge steel with beautiful glossy black powder coating.
Component utilized: jinu117 condenser, Danfoss NF9FX, chilly1 evap or better.
Compatibility with: S939, LGA775, AM2.
Temperature range: expect 5-15c better temp on high heat load vs a well known production phase unit. Also a little more capacity to handle hotter cpu.
Noiselevel: Considered quieter than the WKPP.
Pricing: $650+packing($50 it gets double boxed with specialized foam)+actual shipping.
Options: $100 for LCD controller that reads temperature, turns on and off computer, controlls fan speed.
$60+ for powder coating other than glossy black.
Some samples first

Last edited:
Its the shipping and aquiring a vapo that makes the deal not seem that great to me (you know forsight). But of course you already had one.
That and the Vapo mounting isnt that important to alot of people and the chill controll wouldn't mean alot to someone that already has a digital therm. I picked up a dual input of ebay for 40bucks shipped :eek:

greenmaji said:
Its the shipping and aquiring a vapo that makes the deal not seem that great to me (you know forsight). But of course you already had one.
That and the Vapo mounting isnt that important to alot of people and the chill controll wouldn't mean alot to someone that already has a digital therm. I picked up a dual input of ebay for 40bucks shipped :eek:

Well your still looking at $750 to get a new custom unit shipped.
or $375 to get a Vapochill LS modded and shipped with exactly the same components.

If you pay $400 for a used Vapo and send it to Jin for $375 = $775 and you get evap/mount +LCD, chillcontrol.

Last edited:
Either way it comes out to the same price. Would I have been better off just ordering one of Jins custom units in the first place? Most definitely. But the fact of the matter is I didnt even know he existed until after I purchased my Vapo LS used for $450 locally.

Is it better for someone who already owns a Vapo LS to buy a completely new unit? No way.

I want one =) cant waite to see what it does . it would rock if you hit your goal . My next major upgrade will include a SS .

What refrigerant did he charge with?
Actually what were all the mods he did precisely?

Last edited:
Gautam said:
What refrigerant did he charge with?
I believe he used r402a in it Gautam. I cant remember if it was a custom blend though because I vaguely remember discussing that with him.

Gautam said:
Actually what were all the mods he did precisely?

Just found our original order e-mail:

1. Swap out compressor to larger Danfoss.
2. Add desuperheater coil and triple evac.
3. Re-gas: Put r402a in it and tune it.
4. Load and leak test for at a minimum 24 hours as well as numerous thermal shock testing.
5. Replace standard Vapo fans with heavy duty high CFM rpm sensing Panaflo's.

That was my original order as per Jin. He is a great guy and always very responsive to annoying questions from myself. lol

Im going to say it outloud :-/

It looks like it might be a tad overcharged in order to give you the no load temp you were looking for.

I would ask him if he could tune it for better load temps rather then no-load.
If its strait R402A something seems off to me. *almost like a shot of R23 or like I said a slight overcharge*

*don't hit me*

I'm not saying I know more then Jinu, its more about he might have been trying to please the customer or doing what the customer asked rather then what he thought was best.

hmm... I know you had the special request of 60C but wouldn't it have been better to tune it for more load? I mean 60C at no load is fine but if had tuned it for more load it should be lower at a higher wattage. so maybe like 50C idle but 40C load at 180W.

crfracer290 said:
I wouldnt worry for him guys, I doubt Jinu sacrificed load temps for the idle...

I know Jinu's work, and I know what that compressor and that gas can do from research, I wouldn't have said anything unless I really thought something might be up. I have this feeling that Jinu might have tried to talk Dom out of the low no-load temp. but Dom didn't understand that you sacrifice load temperatures in the process.
But as I said, I'm not trying to be a pain eeerrrhh. So again *please don't hit me*

Back