• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC won't shutdown or restart?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EyeTalk2Trees

Registered
Its a simular problem to Ashenfang's http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=482821
When i hit shutdown on XP it all goes as planned except it doesn't power all the way off, the fans and lights as still on, kind of like a sleep walker. The samething happens when i try to restart. The case doesn't have a reset button so i have to hold it for 5 sec to get it to power all the way down then boot it back up. The crasy part is my girlfriends machine I built using the same parts excapt RAM and CPU lesser versions of mine, and a different case and she has no problems. I checked the wiring on my case several times with no luck. Any one ran into this before? its like having an AT power supply again.

I bet it is software related. I would try a re-format, I have fixed that same problem before that way.

LOL why is it everytime something happens sooo many say just reformat? It sounds like there are programs that are not compatible with other programs in the system. If you try to use the end task button on them but nothing happens its the non compatibility thing interfering.

So, turn off the power restart it and let it take its time. Then go looking for any recently added updates or drivers or programs you may have installed. If you have them in your downloads folder, remove them all ( not from your folder,but wherever you installed them) and one by one reinstall them till you find the problem.

I built the machine 3 months ago, it has done it from the very beginning, even before I got the RAID 0 set up it would do this. I've reinstalled once before for another reason and it didn't change anything. At first it didn't bother me, I usually leave the machine running but now its the only problem i have with my system and its bugging me. Could it be the RAM like the post I said earlier was sorta like my problem? I could grab the girlfirend's RAM and test, but I think I missed something on the case wiring, but there isn't much to it. Does anyone else have this case?

The case probably isnt the problem since you have had this since the start. It sounds like a mobo issue. Have you tried a new bios or checked to see if the battery isnt working right.

this MSI board is new and doesn't have a bios newer than the orginal yet, probibly never get one now AM2 is out, how would I check the battery, other than replacing it?

We just sent an Antec PSU back because it wouldn't shut down. It would seem like it was shutting down but then there would be a couple of clicking sounds and it would boot right back up again. Try another PSU.

Back