• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Counter Intuitive Newegg Pricing Confusing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I need to increase the memory in my older Abit IC7-Max3 mobo to 2 GB. Since I intend to replace this mobo next spring, I want to minimize what I am spending now on obsolete 184 pin DDR SDRAM. I am running a 3.0 Ghz Prescott ant 3.75 Ghz (250 Mhz FSB). It is 100% stable at this speed with default voltages and never exceeds 138 degrees even under full load for extended periods.

Newegg has OCZ 2GB (2 X 1 GB, DDR400, PC3200) Performance at $225.99 and the Value Series at $235.99. Why would the Value Series be more expensive than the Performance Series. This seems counter intuitive and, as a result, I am not sure which to buy. Also, since I am not really sure what I need, does this memory appear appropriate?

Sometimes with the mail-in rebates and daily sales, the higher quality products will drop down in price while the lower end ones stay the same. How much ram do you have now? If you're going to be revamping a system soon, I'd put it off til then and just get ddr2 when you upgrade your mobo. You'll probably need to anyway. If you have to get some now, for whatever reason, go eBay and find something cheap.

I certainly appreciate the advice! I will probably order the RAM you suggested tomorrow morning.

I have 1 GB now using four 256 Mb sticks. I noticed when rendering a video file using MYDVD 8, the Page File approaches 900 MB. Although 200 MB +- is shown as available, it seems the relatively slow PF would be much smaller if I had twice as much RAM. I also think two 1 GB sticks will probably run better than the four older 256 MB now installed. In addition, I have the DRAM Ratio set at 5:4 as I do not have enough trust in my current older memory to depend upon it if I overclock it. Since I am expecting another six or seven months service out of the current machine, I do not mind spending $200 or so if I can get some reasonable gain from buying new memory.

you should be able to find a 2gig set of good pc3200 ram for quite a bit less in the classified section. Maybe around $150

Back