• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

comparison questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

I'm looking for a new video card and I have some possible purchases but I was interested in whatever opinions you (collective you) may have to offer. I'm expecting an ASUS crossfire board to be on my doorstep any day now and I'm looking to get a crossfire capable card, even though I don't have two cards at the moment. I don't have too much money to spend right now, so I want to keep it under 150. I know that's tight, but I've been researching and looking on ebay and such. I was considering an x1600, but from what I've read a 7600, which happens to be cheaper way out performs it. So that has made me kinda warey. But be that as it may, what might any of you suggest?

I've found some potentials:

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2522420&CatId=0

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2201738&CatId=0

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2522422&CatId=0

Now, one of my key questions is this: Does having 512 of ddr2 memory outperform 256 of ddr3? If I can determine a clear performance gain of one over the other that would make deciding a heck of a lot easier.

256 or 512 on that card isnt going to make any difference because its not fast enough to use it. The core itself isnt quick enough to use 512 for swapping textures and such and 256 is usually faster memory.

I agree the only help getting a 512mb X1600 card would be if it makes your ePenis feel bigger.

So you're saying that either flavor of that card isn't really great, that a x1600 in general would be a poor choice?

I bought an X1600 Pro 512MB card and was disappointed in the performance. So, I upgraded to 2 X1600 Pro 512MB in CrossFire. I am still very disappointed in the performance. Good money after bad, I believe the saying goes.

I then bought a BFG 7900GT OC 256MB card and it makes the X1600's look like they are standing still. And with a second BFG 7900GT OC 256MB in SLI, I can play anything at any resolution with any option and never suffer lag/stutter/low-fps.

Forget about the 16x0 cards and go for the 79xx cards. I guarantee you will be much happier. Sorry ATI, you lose this round. Now, if we are going to talk X19x0 XT(X), that's a different story. :)

:cry:

Now that I just got my crossfire capable board in the mail. I guess I'll just wait for price drops or something.

Kango2020 said:
I bought an X1600 Pro 512MB card and was disappointed in the performance. So, I upgraded to 2 X1600 Pro 512MB in CrossFire. I am still very disappointed in the performance. Good money after bad, I believe the saying goes.

I then bought a BFG 7900GT OC 256MB card and it makes the X1600's look like they are standing still. And with a second BFG 7900GT OC 256MB in SLI, I can play anything at any resolution with any option and never suffer lag/stutter/low-fps.

Forget about the 16x0 cards and go for the 79xx cards. I guarantee you will be much happier. Sorry ATI, you lose this round. Now, if we are going to talk X19x0 XT(X), that's a different story. :)
well the x16xx cards were never intended to compete any where near the 79xx series. thats like saying a camaro out performs a Taurus duh

Back