• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice needed on new setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Webzta

Ok I need some advice..

I have;

Intel 660
1gig OCZ DDR1

I Need a replacement motherboard..

I am going to buy some DDR2 and PCI-E Gfx card.

Looking for advice on

Budget DDR2 ram & a £100~ motherboard?

Thanks

hmm
well i dont know how much tha us US but it seems you need/want a board based on the 945/946 that supports c2d's for future upgrades. the biostar tforce945
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138035
or even this biostar
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138034
links above are just for seeing the mobos im talking about. there are others but if your buying a board now why not future proof a bit to save you moving down the road from buying another mobo just to upgrade to cpu.

generallly the tforce boards have ocing features but idk how well they do, havent seen/read any reviews.

splat said:
i think you meant to say "you want a P965 chipset for C2D upgradability"

in that case, get the gigabyte S3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128017

it is a proven overclocker.
that is a good one as well but there are other boards older with 1066mhz fsb support that allow the use of c2d with the updated VRM-11. as the ones i posted, there are some boards with only 800mhz fsb. that support c2d's but the only c2d's with 800mhz fsb are the e4xxx coming out later this year.

i just realized there is a 965p-s3 and a 965p-ds3...with like $30 between them. is the DS3 sort of like a deluxe model?

splat said:
i just realized there is a 965p-s3 and a 965p-ds3...with like $30 between them. is the DS3 sort of like a deluxe model?
no the s3 use solid caps for the cpu pwm's then older can type caps on the rest of the board. the ds3 uses solid caps all over the board. if you want a "dlx" model you want to look at the DQ6.

This is good news

So I can run a 660 in a gigabyte ds3?

also is it worth buying the more expensive one with the better caps or not?

I'm after some advice on a budget card also -

I have a 6800LE unlocked atm..

Looking for a pci replacement which is equal performance if not better :)

Thankyou for the help sofar.

Webzta said:
This is good news

So I can run a 660 in a gigabyte ds3?

also is it worth buying the more expensive one with the better caps or not?

I'm after some advice on a budget card also -

I have a 6800LE unlocked atm..

Looking for a pci replacement which is equal performance if not better :)

Thankyou for the help sofar.
yep sure can...well as for bang per buck this one but your in uk so i dont know if you can get this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143054

The Gigabyte DS3 is ok or maybe better yet the Asus P5B Deluxe. Personally, I have an Abit AW9D-Max which works good for the E6600 (probably would not recommend it for the E6300/E6400 though). I've heard the Abit AW9D plain version is doing good too if you want to save a few pounds.

I don't know what RAM is available over your way, but G. Skill is good if you can find 'em. Basically, any name brand PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) RAM with Cas 4 timings should be fine.

Probably should check in the vid card section for the current good deal for your budget. I'm assuming you are not a hardcore gamer? If you like the Nvidia cards, the 7600 GT is priced reasonably around here (I would avoid the 7600 GS though). If you shop around, sometimes you can find a bargain on the 7900 GT for about $200 US. Not sure if that's getting out of your price range, but those are really good cards for the price.

Batboy - first of all... Nice to see you kicking around :)

Here are a few cards i've been looking at - decided to spend a bit extra as I want it to last.

7900 GS 256MB
7950GT 256MB

x1800XT 256MB

X1800 GTO 256MB

x1900GT
X1950 Pro

These are the cards I am looking at.

Which one would you guys reccomend.

I dont mind which brand I go with..

Thanks

(gunna go look at the other MB's batboy suggested now)

Intel 660 (Already own)
Corsair DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX - Only g.skill stuff are 2GB kits which cost in the UK almost my entire budget :)
Gigabyte S3 - Asus board was quite a bit more in the UK

Gfx - undecided.

looked up the card - slightly out of what i wa slooking at spending..

However- if you feel it's worth it then I can swallow the extra cost and go for it.

Any chance you / someone else can look on: www.overclockers.co.uk and take a look for best bang/buck card.

IDeally £150 max.. but I came on here for advice and if the 7900gto is indeed the best card for that little extra then I can live with that.

thanks again

For that price either the MSI 7900GTO at 153 pounds or the x1900xt 256MB at 144 pounds would be the best options from both sides.

Again, it depends on how much gaming you do, but I currently have the X1900XT and it'll easily handle any hardcore 3D game on the market right now.

1900XT 256MB vs 7900GTO 512MB (1.1ns ram guarenteed)

GTO is MSI

1900XT is powercolor

Decisions!

I prolly wont overclock it... which is better stock.

Just found a x1950Pro very cheap - Are these any good?

Last edited:
The X1950 Pro generally has slightly less core and memory speed than the X1900 XT, but the real difference is lt has less pixel pipelines. The X1900 XT is a better card, but if you can't afford it, then the X1950 Pro would probably work fine for you and is certainly better than your old 6800SE.

Back