• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Victory and a question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
Ok so Victory comes in the form of a fully updated smoothie finally running my network.

Victory also comes in the form of quite possibly the most functionally ugly beige box that houses the smoothie.

120x38 Delta on an adaptor reducing it to an 80mm curve to go in the front intake and only fan in the box.

onto the question:

One single machine in my network, is in the wrong place to get a cable run so it is wireless. With the smoothie running, I turned off the DHCP properties of the router. Any way to get the one lappie to get a wireless IP without having to turn the router back on and as a router?

Router is a Linksys WRT54G V.6
Network is configured to have 24 available IP addresses

If you have the Linksys unit connected to a switch on your green network, and setup in access point mode instead of as a router, it should get DHCP directly from the smoothwall. I have mine setup exactly like that.

sandrock said:
If you have the Linksys unit connected to a switch on your green network, and setup in access point mode instead of as a router, it should get DHCP directly from the smoothwall. I have mine setup exactly like that.

Yep I had mine setup that way to until I ditched the Smoothwall for a PIX. Worked perfectly.

turn off DHCP and NAT on the router, plug one of the LAN ports into your switch. Make sure smoothie has the DHCP server running, and when you connect to the wireless it should get an IP. If it doesn't, set a manual ip and see if you can even ping smoothie or another machine on the LAN.

Back