• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buy a geforce 3 ti500 or wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tacos

Should I go ahead and get a gf3 ti 500 or wait for the next generation video card? I noticed some posts saying the next generation cards will be released in early 2002. Is this true?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
tacos said:
Should I go ahead and get a gf3 ti 500 or what for the next generation video card? I noticed some posts saying the next generation cards will be released in early 2002. Is this true?:rolleyes:

i hope not, i just bought a visiontek ti500 ;(

I think that's really a question you have to answer yourself. How much do you want the card now. What card do you have now? Rumors are that the NV25 will be out in Jan, but what kind of availability or price will that be at? Are you willing to wait until possibly March for the card? Remeber, there's always a new card "just around the corner". That being said, I just upgraded from a standard GF3 to a Ti500, and I'm happy with the performance, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't have been better off waiting. This probably didn't help, but it's really a question of how fast do you want to go, and how soon.

Buy it! There really is only an upside to it. Games are only starting to be optimized for the GF3s & even if the newer cards come out I bet you will still be enjoying what you got.

personally, i would wait until next year, and get an 8500, or a Ti500 for half the price theyre selling at now...but if you need to have the latest and greatest, go for it....

funnyperson1 said:
personally, i would wait until next year, and get an 8500, or a Ti500 for half the price theyre selling at now...but if you need to have the latest and greatest, go for it....

I would wait Nvidia should be comming out with a geforce 4 next quater i think... Someone correct me if im wrong. But I did just buy a geforce 3 ti 200 but its says its a 450 golden edition... I also did a little overclocking with her and if U have the right cooling U can get it to a geforce 3 500 the difference is the core and the memory speed between those cards...

Technologie is moving to fast for my liking, I mean look at how long the Geforce 2 was out before it was superseeded by the G3, now the G3's already gonna be old :eek: , this really annoys me as I've only just bought a new card - 8500!!!

Oh well, my mums got a Ghz PC so I ca just hand the parts dwon instead on wasting em, Good Excuse to upgrade next (yes next!!!) Xmas!!!:beer:

Nick:cool:

nick_cw said:
Technologie is moving to fast for my liking, I mean look at how long the Geforce 2 was out before it was superseeded by the G3, now the G3's already gonna be old :eek: , this really annoys me as I've only just bought a new card - 8500!!!

Oh well, my mums got a Ghz PC so I ca just hand the parts dwon instead on wasting em, Good Excuse to upgrade next (yes next!!!) Xmas!!!:beer:

Nick:cool:

I don't think it moves fast enought I mean We are only at 2.0 ghz and if U overclock you'll be lucky to get 2.5 +. But that might be just be I can't stand waiting for windows or linux to boot i mean i should be able to flick a switch and be ready to go well hopefully in my life time i Will see something that makes me say WOW... Till then.

Hack the planet.

If you really want a new card and can affoard it buy it now. if you don't have the money you'll have to wait till the new geforce cards come out so the geforce 3 ti500's drop. If you don't have the money now chances are you won't then. Hey you can always overclock it to the speeds of the new ones!

wolfsid said:

I don't think it moves fast enought I mean We are only at 2.0 ghz and if U overclock you'll be lucky to get 2.5 +. But that might be just be I can't stand waiting for windows or linux to boot i mean i should be able to flick a switch and be ready to go well hopefully in my life time i Will see something that makes me say WOW... Till then.

Hack the planet.

:) Guess you have a point...:)

Oh and the guy wif da 1900's (forgot name!!!) you don't have the best of everything!!! Just the Cpu's!

tacos said:
Should I go ahead and get a gf3 ti 500 or wait for the next generation video card? I noticed some posts saying the next generation cards will be released in early 2002. Is this true?:rolleyes:

Get the GF3 Ti200 and overclock it to a GF3 Ti500 speeds. I can OC my Ti200 to 220/515. A GF3 Ti500 default speed is 240/500. And if you do get a Ti500, chances are you won't be able to OC it much past the default speed as those are pretty much Ti200's that's been picked for Ti500's because of their higher yields, they're already running near their max.

Now's the best time to buy one as those cards have been out well over a month and prices have dropped somewhat. If you wait a couple or months for the their prices to drop some more, then the NV25 will be real close and you'll hesitate to buy. Then before you know it, the NV25 will be out. But the prices will be sky high and you'll have to wait for prices to go down. You'll be exactly where you are at right now.

Well that all depends on what kind of card you are upgradding it from. If you have a geforec 2 already then wait but if your still in the dark ages running a tnt2 go for it and go now (its blissfull to play games at 100+fps.... mmmmmm) I upgraded to a geforce 3 from my tnt2 m64 when they first came out and im still impressed with it (it out overclocks my friends ti 200 in both ram and core with no artifacts :) ) though i think i will have to get a job again to buy a geforce 4 hope this helps :)

nick_cw said:

:) Guess you have a point...:)

Oh and the guy wif da 1900's (forgot name!!!) you don't have the best of everything!!! Just the Cpu's!

I would think that I have almost the best of everthing also I try not to buy generic hardware just to say a couple of $$$ I got for the 2nd best why get the best when U get the 2nd or 3rd and make it the best... and as for Fps I got 230 220 on Q3 with my gf2 gts pro now i have a gf3 ti I only get like maybe 20 30 fps more but its alot cleaner and clearer picture with the gf3 TI...

Hack the planet.:eek:

PsYko420 said:
Oh and get this, look at my sig...
I have all top o the ling hardware...
No mobo Hehehehehe sucks for me huh? Oh well its comin later this week =[

thats quite a nice system, though it would be nicer to have a Ti500 or an 8500 in there, the regular Geforce3 should be more than enough.....:D

funnyperson1 said:

thats quite a nice system, though it would be nicer to have a Ti500 or an 8500 in there, the regular Geforce3 should be more than enough.....:D

from what i have been reading the ti 500 is really a ti 200 just overclocked a bit...

I may be wrong, Also if U have cooling like i have on the gf3 ti "72watt pelter and a aqua sink from www.overclockershideout.com" temps on the card are 15c with the video running at 225/490

But that is my gainward card its a golden edition bad *** card I say get the gf3 ti and overclock it to what U want just remember to cool that bad boy down with a nice watercooler and pelter or a big heatsink with a mod on it..

hack the planet..

wolfsid said:

from what i have been reading the ti 500 is really a ti 200 just overclocked a bit...

I may be wrong, Also if U have cooling like i have on the gf3 ti "72watt pelter and a aqua sink from www.overclockershideout.com" temps on the card are 15c with the video running at 225/490

But that is my gainward card its a golden edition bad *** card I say get the gf3 ti and overclock it to what U want just remember to cool that bad boy down with a nice watercooler and pelter or a big heatsink with a mod on it..

hack the planet..

ys about the Ti500 being an oced Ti200 you are right, but thats like saying, i have a Geforce2Pro overclcocked to Gf2Ultra speeds,so its as good as an Ultra, yeah but if i had an Ultra id be ocing it to Geforce3 speeds.....likewise if i had a Ti500 or an 8500 id be ocing it to speeds that boggle the human imagintation :p ....and he doesnt have a Gainward he has a regular old geforce3.....

funnyperson1 said:

ys about the Ti500 being an oced Ti200 you are right, but thats like saying, i have a Geforce2Pro overclcocked to Gf2Ultra speeds,so its as good as an Ultra, yeah but if i had an Ultra id be ocing it to Geforce3 speeds.....likewise if i had a Ti500 or an 8500 id be ocing it to speeds that boggle the human imagintation :p ....and he doesnt have a Gainward he has a regular old geforce3.....

Yep I know have 3 Geforce 3 cards 2 ti 450 and one 500... w00t w00t:D

Back