• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing the OEM bs from XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KageKonjou

I have an IBM ThinkCentre desktop that came with a volume edition of XP Pro. The only problem is there is a 1GB partition that houses some odd swap stuff and the boot sector, and if the HD is not run on an IBM, it won't boot.

With this said, I have an awesome beast of a PC I've built, and I want to put my HD on it. Is there any way around this? Thanks.

Are you putting that IBM HD on there as a backup drive? If so, Use some sort of partitioning program to delete all the partitions on the IBM drive, then boot windows and go into the Computer management control panel under Admin Tools (If it's not in the start menu it's in the control panel)

Once it's open, click "Disk management" on the left pane, and then on the right it should list all of the drives on the PC. In the bottom right pane you should see all drives on the PC (Because it probably won't be listed on the top right pane). One of them should be the IBM drive (You should recognize it by size and by it saying "unpartitioned space" or something like that. Just right click that box and click Format.

BTW, you should be able to boot windowsXP in repair mode off of the CD, I think you can use fdisk in that state. (I think)
If not, download some partition manager? :)

Back