• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boycott 2142

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Haha, I like how it gives a monetary value for the amount of people signed. Yeah, its definatly not worth it to me.

*edit* Not worth BUYING to me, just to clarify, not the petition, that I think is a great idea. :D

Last edited:
yes

just click wher eit says "about"

Signed

BTW can anyone get me a ScreenShot of one of those adds?

Here is some info I found

Youtube user CombatPilot said:
EA plans to check your surfing habits in order to send it back to advertising companies in order to generate in-game ads in line with your possible purchasing interests.
Youtube user thespillcanvas said:
"Players who have the Windows security update KB917422 installed may suffer from an application error when running the Battlefield 2142 demo. This error can be solved by uninstalling the KB917422 update." - EA

Now, lets have a look at what this kernel we are to delete is a fix for.

"A security issue has been identified in the Windows Kernel that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it."

Foun here... funny stuff

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the in game ads in BF2142. They are not intrusive into your surfing habits. That was a myth. The ads are determined by the ads you look at in game and for how long you look at them. It may be a more detailed than that but the point is that EA isn't sniffing your cookies so that they can find out what kind of pr0n you like or what you bought off amazon.

z0n3 said:
I don't have a problem with the in game ads in BF2142. They are not intrusive into your surfing habits. That was a myth. The ads are determined by the ads you look at in game and for how long you look at them. It may be a more detailed than that but the point is that EA isn't sniffing your cookies so that they can find out what kind of pr0n you like or what you bought off amazon.
The point is that there are ads. I refuse to play any game that has in-game ads.

In game ads are coming. Fighting them is a losing battle. The method they used for ads in BF2142 is tasteful and I like it. I encourage ads to be done in this manner in the future. I don't like that the ads will be there but the simple fact is that the cost to make new games is increasing expotentialy with no end. Comapnies have to make money some how. It is also far more important for smaller companies than it is for EA. I would rather have ads than an increase in the cost of the game.

I guess you haven't read the EULA and the information that EA collects and what they do with said information. Ads are BS imo also.. People run the servers there is no cost for EA in that arena so they should budget it to developement costs of the game. I play a GAME to get away from real life not to sit there and have a damn happy meal shoved in my face everwhere I go.

.. Do they even read these?.. or care? LOL.. because these could be so easly faked.. I mean.. its like voting..

It's not one of those stupid online petition things. It's just a site a guy made for fun.

z0n3 said:
In game ads are coming. Fighting them is a losing battle. The method they used for ads in BF2142 is tasteful and I like it. I encourage ads to be done in this manner in the future. I don't like that the ads will be there but the simple fact is that the cost to make new games is increasing expotentialy with no end. Comapnies have to make money some how. It is also far more important for smaller companies than it is for EA. I would rather have ads than an increase in the cost of the game.
You think this game cost anywhere near as much to make as BF2 did? This is just a MOD for the game, and a crappy one at that. There are way better mods coming out for FREE (which is the way it should be) without any ads. Why would they put ads in this game and still sell it at $50 unless they were simply greedy for money?

Last edited:
I don't think BF2142 cost EA alot to make. My point was that games cost more to make every day. Last I checked I could get BF2142 for $40 from CC, Fry's, and a number of other places. Also EA has proven in the past to be a very greedy company. What more should expect from them. I am merely prasing the way that they have handled in game advertising. More games I fear will use in game ads and it is my wish that when the day comes that the advertising is done as unobtrusively as it was done in BF2142.

I signed. I'm not so much agenst the ads if the money went to servers but i am agenst rushed games that even after years of patched still run like crap.

DarkVirusVx said:
I signed. I'm not so much agenst the ads if the money went to servers but i am agenst rushed games that even after years of patched still run like crap.
Ditto. I have 3.0Ghz, 2 gb ram, and a 9800 pro, and I can barely run Titan mode on all low. (I didn't buy the game, I won it in a forum contest)

Signed.

Although I don't really like ads, if they were done in moderation and tastefully (ie: a bombed-out building with a modernized Coke logo painted on the side, or [sparse] talking-murals like in Minority Report), then I might be less opposed to this. As it stands, I don't feel like paying $40-$50 for an even-buggier updated version of BF2 with banner ads (that feature items and logos from the present day? What were they thinking? Apparently graphics designers didn't do much for that whole millenia there..). Anyways, I'm going to continue making sure that EA sees no money from me at least.

mage_x said:
Why would they put ads in this game and still sell it at $50 unless they were simply greedy for money?

QFT

It's all about money and EA is greedy for it right now. As long as the public keeps buying their trash and spyware, they will continue to make it.

Another thing, I think EA should have put the notice about the collection info on the OUTSIDE of the box, but customers do not find out about it until they open the box, which as we all know is to late then, because you cant take the game back once the box is open.

Back