• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing a Laptop LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Centurion

I recently purchased a 17" G4 Powerbook for $5 at a garage sale. It was damaged and had water spilled across the keyboard. Of course for $5, I was willing to investigate the extent of the damage. Unfortunately the motherboard (or logic board) was fried in mulitple areas. Retailers sell the logic boards for $650, which I'm not willing to spend. Which brings me to my question...

How likely do you think it is that the LCD was damaged by the water? It was not submerged, just spilled on it. I have never gotten the device to power up due to the logic board damage, but how likely is it that it would have damaged the LCD? I ask because I have someone offering me an identical laptop with a broken LCD for $300, but I would not be able to return it if my LCD didn't work with it. The area on the logic board where the LCD connects didn't appear to have any burned out components near it, so I'm wondering if it's worth the $300 risk...any ideas or opinions welcome.

Back