• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI's R600 Cards (Any word?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Curious if anyone has heard a peep from ATI about there cards yet. I know its a release early next year. I was just curious, me with money itchin for an upgrade of course.

ATI hardly ever bothers with PR before they release something... nvidia wouldn't exist without it. :p

But my "friend" keeps saying that the R600 will be well over double the power of the R580... the G80 is about %95 more powerful then an X1900XTX looking at the D3D_9c benchmarks... if they're not BS'd.

As for DirectX 10 performance, ATI is working much closer with Microsoft... and does have the habit of over-engineering their cards with lots of shader power.

I know how those nVidia cards are looking but you know it would be nice for a litle leak ;) Always intresting to know whats coming up so I can expect my upgrade hehe.

Shell said:
ATI hardly ever bothers with PR before they release something... nvidia wouldn't exist without it. :p

But my "friend" keeps saying that the R600 will be well over double the power of the R580... the G80 is about %95 more powerful then an X1900XTX looking at the D3D_9c benchmarks... if they're not BS'd.

As for DirectX 10 performance, ATI is working much closer with Microsoft... and does have the habit of over-engineering their cards with lots of shader power.
from what youve said the R600 is slated to be better than the G80?

jcll2002 said:
from what youve said the R600 is slated to be better than the G80?
Well, what else would ATI be doing with all of that additional time they're spending on the R600? :p
watchthisspace said:
And hopfully smaller :beer:
It should be between the size of the X1950XTX and the 8800GT... "a little bigger then the 1950" as he said.

I tried to bribe my friend to leak me all that he knew... but not even a $100 bill, hard persuasion, and the guarantee of anonymity... I could not force it out of him, and I'm pretty good at those things. If you know what I mean.

Shell said:
Well, what else would ATI be doing with all of that additional time they're spending on the R600? :p

It should be between the size of the X1950XTX and the 8800GT... "a little bigger then the 1950" as he said.

I tried to bribe my friend to leak me all that he knew... but not even a $100 bill, hard persuasion, and the guarantee of anonymity... I could not force it out of him, and I'm pretty good at those things. If you know what I mean.

Not an appropriate comment -- David

Last edited by a moderator:
jcll2002 said:
Editing out the quote -- David
I was thinking of getting him drunk... and a stripper... that should work.
Or I'll just put a wire on him when he goes to work... but I think ATI's building has somewhat powerful RF shielding.
Whatever works better! :beer:

or razorwire. :sn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shell said:

Tie him/her yup, get a the cane. And get him talking :D (not meaning this is any form of dodgy way)

More info the better, heck a sample would be grand to play with :)

Well it will be a toss up til we get more info on the ATI cards. But for released card purpose I'd say the ATI cards will be better then nVidia's offering. Its more suited to the Unified Architecture, besides having 512bit ram (rumor still) that has over 160GB/s through put is nothing to scuff at. Nearly double what nVidia has for memory through put on there coming cards.

I got a little leak... almost nothing...

The r600 will consume about ~15-25% more power then the X1950XTX... the G80 consumes about 10-15% more then an r580. I guess these things will consume as much as perviously estimated.
All Heil Vodka! :beer: I have a mild hangover... but someone has a much worse one. ;) Yet that's all I got out of him...
I'm not shure if he lies when he's drunk... oh well, probaly not.
Not much info, but DAAMiT is not leaking much that's for shure, but they will likely have to when the G80 is just being released.

But we can rely on Microsoft to do that for us, they're already leaked(post deleted by M$ on the MSDN forums) that the r600 will be much more efficient at Direct3D 10 then the G80, by how much... we can only guess. But it would be common knowledge that ATi has been working much closer to MS then any other graphics company. *cough* Xbox 360.

well as of right now the G80 is pretty much unneccesary. I haven't run accross a game which my x1900xt cannot handle quite well. The R600 sounds like the way to go in the DX10 field and it will premiere around when Vista and DX10 are actually in use.

I might be building a system around the e4300 chip (the 200fsb x 9 multi allendale chip - 100% overclock anyone?) and an R600 early next year. The e4300 is supposedly coming in Q1 2007 as well.

Back