• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help I Broke my Computer!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
Alright my rig is listed in my sig and today I did some mods to my motherboard and my computer stopped working(the computer worked before I did all these mods I have been using it for over 2 months now I wanted to squeeze some more performance out of my system and I think I broke it). The mods I did were as followed, I upgraded the TIM under the heatsinks on the motherboard and removed the covers on those heatsinks, on the northbridge heatsink I also installed a 40mm fan. I also just got a lapping kit and lapped my Storm waterblock along with my processor (came out pretty well). Also on my 7900gtx I decided that I wanted to install my maze4 gpu waterblock that I never got around to, so I installed that along with ocz ramsinks.

I got this all done and setup and booted the computer and it worked!

I then checked the temperature of the graphics card and it wasn't to my liking (64 C). However, I was still getting airbubbles out my loop and such and the lines were still filling up, but I decided it would be best to take it out of my loop because I was more concerned with my processors overclock.

But before I did that I decided to overclock my cpu to see if all my work went well, I have all my settings down written on paper that I use and I set them verbatim and rebooted and I got a black screen. I realized I set my pcie freq to 110 (like i do normally), and I thought oh crap my card must be overheating. So I turn of my computer pull my card, and drain my loop into a bucket. I take off the waterblock and all the ramsinks clean up the card and apply as5 and reconnected the stock heatsink. And setup everything back up to normal.

I figure I should clear the CMOS to get stock settings when the computer boots, however I didn't pull my plug from my psu like I normally do on accident and when I touched the jumper to reset the settings the computer turned on automatically. It really surprised me, the computer loaded up with a black screen again! I turned it off immediately.

So I pulled the plug reset the CMOS pull the battery all that stuff praying when I turn my computer on it will work, but it didn't!

Please help, I have no way of knowing if it's my motherboard I shorted or my graphics card is fried... But I'm leaning more towards the motherboard because normally when I power on my computer on my wireless mouse / keyboard hub lights up as the computer turns on and now it doesn't! I tried running the motherboard with and without the graphics card and the light never comes on. Please help!

Problem Resolved

Last edited:
Update: I just went upstairs and turned on my computer and it booted up! I'm so happy right now, wow.. :)

I'd just like to say...

Why the hell did you list your CASE as the first component of the rig in your sig? I'm looking for the CPU... the motherboard... and I see "Antec." My first thought was, "Maybe he's listing his power supply..." But no...

Back