• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Number9

Registered
Bacicly I have Core temp and its saying about 10C more then in the Abit uguru EQ menu and am just wondering which I should go by? I hear that Core Temp uses temps from the sensors on the CPU die so would be more accurate but maybe it could be off a bit?

Main thing is my opteron is currently at 1.450 vcore and I'm getting up to 62C on one core and about 58C on the other but then in abits EQ menu its only showing 50-52* for the CPU.

And yes I know 60C is very high and I stoped stress prime shortly after getting up to that temp.

Another thing is if I touch the heat sink its barely warm at as close as I can touch to the CPU while running under load and showing say 58C in Core Temp. Think there might be a problem with the AC5, I had just reseated the heat sink a few weeks ago though I think I may have put just a bit to much of it on...

Thanks

You have to ask TheCoolest regarding Core temp as he wrote the program. Motherboard transducers such as the Winbond made sensors can be quite inaccurate. As long as you see no problems in the day to day operations, I would not worry. However, 50-52 C with a mere 1.45 V Core is a bit high for my liking. You may have to improve the airflow in your case and get rid of thermal dead spots.

I would expect to see those temps at about 1.525 VCore.

Super Nade said:
You have to ask TheCoolest regarding Core temp as he wrote the program. Motherboard transducers such as the Winbond made sensors can be quite inaccurate. As long as you see no problems in the day to day operations, I would not worry. However, 50-52 C with a mere 1.45 V Core is a bit high for my liking. You may have to improve the airflow in your case and get rid of thermal dead spots.

I would expect to see those temps at about 1.525 VCore

Yeah that's whats bothering me most, Such high temps for the voltage. I have a 120mm ran front/rear intake/exhaust and one 90mm on the side panel. The bottom of the heat sink has some imperfections witch I'm thinking might be a bit of the problem. I would try the stock cooler but my dog got ahold and chewed the up mounting bracket so I may try to get a new stock bracket or if I can find a HSF that supports skt939 as well as LGA776 and possibly AM2 just so its not a waste if i upgrade sometime soon.

Number9 said:
Yeah that's whats bothering me most, Such high temps for the voltage. I have a 120mm ran front/rear intake/exhaust and one 90mm on the side panel. The bottom of the heat sink has some imperfections witch I'm thinking might be a bit of the problem. I would try the stock cooler but my dog got ahold and chewed the up mounting bracket so I may try to get a new stock bracket or if I can find a HSF that supports skt939 as well as LGA776 and possibly AM2 just so its not a waste if i upgrade sometime soon.
well my opty runs about those temp with that voltage too. no matter what i've done i can't get it any cooler. i think either some chips just run cooler or the temp sensors on the chip aren't very accurate. i hate seing people running 1.5v on air and have the same temps i have on stock volts grrrrr

So what would everyone say is a safe max load temp? I'm not interested in keeping this chip for like 5 years or something so a long life isn't to much of a concern to me but I don't want to melt it :p

Back