• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning thermal paste from the CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol (highest concentration you can get) works well.

If it's 90%, just be sure to use it in a very well ventilated area...trust me on this.

I second the the alcohol (I use 91%). Yes, and be sure to use it in a very well ventilated area. That stuff is strong. :beer:

I personally use 91% rubbing alcohol, because I can get a bottle that will do thousands of reseats. Also it has other uses around the home, but I have also read and heard that Arcticlean works well too.

Most of the time I use 90% alcohol, but depending on the type of TIM I sometimes use acetone.If you do use acetone make sure you give the heatsink a good rub down with alcohol before applying a new TIM.

My 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol arrived today, how do I use it? Do I just put some on a cloth and rub the thermal paste off the CPU?

I use cue tips but that leave little fibers , alot of ppl like to use coffie filters as they dont leave particals behind

Back