• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ourtunes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Summit

my internet has been noticably slow lately and I can't figure out why, but I have a hunch... I've noticed that evidently someone else in my complex is stealing my music off of me. Now, stealing my music is one thing... but stealing my bandwidth is NOT COOL.

Does anyone know if OurTunes or whatever other programs out there cause a speed decrease? I've found that even if I open iTunes and close it right away I still get the message that says "other users are connected to your computer" or whatever, so whatever it is, it's got some sort of auto-connect feature for whenever I sign on, I just suspect it's because someone's leeching off me.

Any advice to reclaim my resources... would be awesome. Thx!

Wait, you don't care if random people connect to your computer and steal your files?

How about securing your network to block access from outside? WPA for wireless, a NAT device and a firewall.

Also virus scans, malware scans, etc. to make sure you rig is clean.

perhaps I was unclear. let me try again.

Does anyone know if ourtunes* takes up system or network resources from whoever the user of said program is downloading FROM? ie, if someone's dl'ing my sh*t, is it gonna cause a slowdown?

*it may not be ourtunes, it could be some other program that lets you bypass itunes' sharing limitations, i just have no knowledge of such other programs.

OK, so you are saying you are allowing and wanting others to have access to your music files?

If that is the case then yes of course allowing someone to download stuff from your computer will use up some amount of resources.

No, dude, that's the problem. If it's using up my bandwidth I don't want people taking my files when I'm doing something else w/ music on in the background but iTunes doesnt just let you check a box that says "don't allow other users to dl your sh*t", the option isn't even available, thats why ourtunes was created in the first place, it lets you dl music from networked computers without them even knowing about it.

Plus i'm on a campus network so I can't just password protect the router or something.

yeah you can turn it off just go to edit --> preferences and use this tab to turn it off

Edit: And yes it will suck your bandwidth. If your school sets it up so you can have 100k up and down and they are DLing music from you it will use up your bandwidth. Secondly if your school catches you swapping copyrighted files you could be busted for it and get in trouble because someone else was stealing your stuff. I'd uncheck the share your library.

Attachments

• itunes.jpg
    itunes.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 120
I don't think he is actually using iTunes.

summit,
I don't really get what the problem is. If you want to share the music files (likely illegal) then it will use bandwidth, etc. You can't have it both ways, you can choose to not share by blocking off the ports with a firewall or whatever or in the program itself, or choose to keep all bandwidth and other resources available for you alone.

TalRW said:
yeah you can turn it off just go to edit --> preferences and use this tab to turn it off

Edit: And yes it will suck your bandwidth. If your school sets it up so you can have 100k up and down and they are DLing music from you it will use up your bandwidth. Secondly if your school catches you swapping copyrighted files you could be busted for it and get in trouble because someone else was stealing your stuff. I'd uncheck the share your library.

Perfect. Just what I was looking for. I can't believe I just didn't think to do that. Thanks!

I would seriously suggest you look into getting a good software firewall, or even better an el cheapo NAT router to isolate you from your campus network. Sounds like a really nasty place.

Incesticide said:
...Sounds like a really nasty place.

Well the software Ourtunes is designed specifically for that task. Its filesharing software, so you cant blame the place.

Neur0mancer said:
Well the software Ourtunes is designed specifically for that task. Its filesharing software, so you cant blame the place.

I beg to differ. In a securely designed campus network, I would have each computer on it's own network through the use of a layer 3 switch and a firewall device. Each network would have 4 addresses: 1 network, one broadcast, and 2 hosts (gateway and pc). Computers wouldn't be able to talk to each other, and thus they couldn't spread virii to each other. If people needed to transfer files, they could use a campus provided file server that does auto virus scanning of all files, and creates a temporary URL for the files.

You really cannot depend on your users to do secure things. As an admin you're supposed to make sure that they can't do things to hurt themselves. And if your admin won't do that, he/she isn't doing their job properly, it is up to you to provide for your own security. Hence my recommendation for a hardware firewall, as software firewalls are too easy for an inexperienced users to accidentally compromise.

Incesticide said:
I beg to differ. In a securely designed campus network, I would have each computer on it's own network through the use of a layer 3 switch and a firewall device. Each network would have 4 addresses: 1 network, one broadcast, and 2 hosts (gateway and pc). Computers wouldn't be able to talk to each other, and thus they couldn't spread virii to each other. If people needed to transfer files, they could use a campus provided file server that does auto virus scanning of all files, and creates a temporary URL for the files.

You really cannot depend on your users to do secure things. As an admin you're supposed to make sure that they can't do things to hurt themselves. And if your admin won't do that, he/she isn't doing their job properly, it is up to you to provide for your own security. Hence my recommendation for a hardware firewall, as software firewalls are too easy for an inexperienced users to accidentally compromise.

huh?
I could go on and on about this comment, but my fingers would get bloody from all all the typing. I'll defer to some other that wishes to comment.

jajmon said:
huh?
I could go on and on about this comment, but my fingers would get bloody from all all the typing. I'll defer to some other that wishes to comment.

Please, if you have something to say that is a non-technical response, we can have this discussion through the PM system. Otherwise, back yourself up. I don't claim to always be right, but I do try to offer valdiation for my claims.

Incesticide said:
Please, if you have something to say that is a non-technical response, we can have this discussion through the PM system. Otherwise, back yourself up. I don't claim to always be right, but I do try to offer valdiation for my claims.

I believe what he is wanting to state, is that the entire basis of this is preposterous. You can do things far more effectively, while maintaining network functionality, and still allowing users to communicate with each other. Route all traffic through a server, have virii scanning traffic on that server, route all traffic back out to network. Problem solved, and your users are not on their own little islands, which totally defeats the purpose of a network.

You can have all the security in the world set up on your network, but there still has to be individual client security to prevent clients from causing problems amongst themselves.

Anyway, please don't turn this thread into a whine-fest. That's not what this is for :)

Midnight Dream said:
I believe what he is wanting to state, is that the entire basis of this is preposterous. You can do things far more effectively, while maintaining network functionality, and still allowing users to communicate with each other. Route all traffic through a server, have virii scanning traffic on that server, route all traffic back out to network. Problem solved, and your users are not on their own little islands, which totally defeats the purpose of a network.

Something along those lines - Midnight

Back