• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 2 Duo machine check exception

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vondoom

I bumped the FSB to 333 and put the ram at 1:1.25 for a 3.0GHz oc.. Everything works fine, for about a half an hour, then i get the blue screen of death with "machine check exception" yadda yadda. I booted few more times and got the b.s.o.d. and now my system wont boot :( Did I fry something, or is this just a bios/os problem?

Heres my system:

Stock Cooling :-/
core2 duo E6600
975X Platinum Mobo msi
550w PSU - TR2 thermaltake
Corsair DDR2-667 Ram, 2Gb xms2
Ati Radeon xtx x1950
WD Raptor 36.7GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Raid 0

Intresting setup, dang close to my old one. I got a few BSOD, and it was memory related. I couldn't get my sticks to post above 400 with looser timings (I had the same sticks as you, the PC-5400C4's), and I don't know how you got yours to work @ 415. Try running no devider, and tighter timings.

Might of trashed the Windows registry. If you can get into the BIOS, set everything back to default and then see if you can get into Windows safe mode. If so, you are probably ok. At worse, you'll have to reformat.

I figured out that as soon as I took FSB back down that I could run the system just fine. I actually meant to order the ddr2 800 version of the xms2 sticks that I've got in there and accidentally ordered the 675 from Newegg. :cool: I just started the RMA on the RAM and bought the ddr2 800 from newegg but they had a special on the 4-4-4-12-2 timed sticks for only $40 more dollars than the ddr2 675's!!!

I'm thinking that I will over clock the system to where I want and then reinstall XP. Vista RC2 does not have this problem and neither does Ubuntu. I Just built this machine not even two weeks ago and I'm still playing with it. I have been prepared to install all my OSes as many times as it takes to make everything run perfectly. Has anyone found that they had to reinstall the OS after this particular BSOD and did it fix the problem?

So now, I'm running these two 675 sticks at v1.9 with a 1:5 ratio giving me 800Mhz. I haven't run bench marks but my system responds much faster with just overclocking the RAM. Hopefully when I get the two ddr2 800 sticks I will be able to join the 4Ghz club. Still....my multiplier is stuck at x9 on this msi 975 platinum board. Anything over 333 on the chip leaves me with an unusable box. Thanks for all the help.

I've gotten blue screens from pushing the RAM too far. Most of the time it does not require a reformat.

batboy said:
I've gotten blue screens from pushing the RAM too far. Most of the time it does not require a reformat.

Same here, Worse case would be to do a windows repair.

Like other said, dont oc on stock cooling, look into the Scythe Ninja SCNJ-1000P, put a fan on it, and there you go, you have a cool cooler :D

Back