• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What type of grease/paste for C2D E6600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sektor

Pretty much as the subject states.

I have AS5 and Zalman Thermal Grease. I like the bottel with its easy to apply applicator. Seems to get better coverage.

AS5, more difficult to put on, but still goes on.

For those that have used both, what is your take? What would you recommend? WHy or why not?

Thanks,

i'm sure it doesn't really matter much. i would go with the AS5 personally. its not really hard to put on, just put a small blob in the center of the IHS, then mount the heatsink.

this should really be in the intel section, or better yet, the cooling section. :)

i go with AS ceramique. generally it runs about .8 degrees warmer and runs no risk of conducting unwanted current.

Doesn't much matter though.

I heard ceramique is easier to paste, cheaper, and runs only 1C warmer. Plus ti is like 500% cheaper than AS5.

In fact, ceramique tend to be harder to use and is harder to remove. The price is 2-3$ different, so i'd say go AS5

the problem with AS5 is that it is electrically conductive so if you know what you are doing it is ok, but if u are a noob use AS ceramique (like me)

AS5.

Not hard to use at all, unless for some reason you cant hold your arm still for about 3 seconds.

Small drop on the center of IHS, then mount HSF.

Pretty much noob proof if you ask me

WaTTz said:
Pretty much noob proof if you ask me

You would be surprised, the phrase "noob proof" can not exist. lol

AS5 - Max Performance, Better temps, shorter life
Ceramique - Lower performance, little bit less temp, much longer life

Going to take your CPU out in the next year? Go with AS5
Planning on letting it sit untill it dies? Go with ceramique

I recall that arctic silver is SUPPOSED to require you to leave your PC turned off for a while shortly after having it turned on for the first time becuase the silver particles are supposed to need that cooling down cycle to fill in the microscopic holes and grooves in the CPU surface and heat sink surface or something like that.

After using probably 7 different thermal pastes on my current computer, I can say with great confidence that they're all the same more or less. One or two degrees difference can more easily be translated into a different ambient room temperature than thermal paste effectiveness. I've got close to a 1 ghz overclock on my P4 and the cheap generic white crap that comes with OEM CPU's works just as good as the arctic silver so just as long as you don't dump half the tube on the cpu during application, anything will work.

A good HSF is where you need to concentrate your research. Not the paste.

Paste in my case AS5 is nice and easy to work with. Definatly easy to remove and with a E6600, unless you put so much on there it seeps out over the heatsink and down into the socket there shouldn't be any worries with it being electrically conductive. I've used it on many things from GPU, CPU, NB, and SB's. Most of those have connections ontop of the chip which if AS5 gets on it it could be bad (as in if it completes a connection).

Currently im using this stuff called MX-1. Its thicker then AS5, slightly harder to apply/remove. But so far I've seen better tempautres with this and im happy about that ~2C difference over my AS5.

Back