• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 Help, 80GB x 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wa77ss

I got two seagate perps I need to setup in RAID 0. Never played with RAID before, so I might need a lil help.

So far, on my Ultra-D, I enabled RAID on the two ports I have the drives on, rebooted, went into raid config. Added the two drives to the "setup", selected mirror (aka raid 0 ?) with 16k stripe. Is this optimal ? I havent tried to install windows yet, and when I do, will I need to add RAID drivers at the beginning ? Or is it automatic with newer motherboards ?

Thanks

WaTTz said:
I got two seagate perps I need to setup in RAID 0. Never played with RAID before, so I might need a lil help.

So far, on my Ultra-D, I enabled RAID on the two ports I have the drives on, rebooted, went into raid config. Added the two drives to the "setup", selected mirror (aka raid 0 ?) with 16k stripe. Is this optimal ? I havent tried to install windows yet, and when I do, will I need to add RAID drivers at the beginning ? Or is it automatic with newer motherboards ?

Thanks

Yes Mirror is RAID 0. I'm not sure if 16k is optimal, I think it depends on your Mobo. I always just select the "optimal Setting" but supposedly 16k is best for gaming.

You do need to press F6 during Windows Setup when it tells you too, and make sure you have a Floppy drive hooked up before you start the setup. you also need a floppy with your Mobo RAID drivers on it. look at your mobos Manual, should say where to get the correct RAID drivers. If you have multiple RAID controllers on your MOBO make sure you get the Drivers for the correct controller you are using.

Thanks for the response :D Just got it setup and windows installed !!! Found a great guide over on dfi-street that helped me as well :)

Now, just to enable 3.0gb/s on my drives ? How to do this ?

Are your drives Sata II's?? If they are, then they have a transfer rate of 3.0gb/s by default. If they are SATA I's, then they have a transfer rate of 1.5gb/s by default, no changing it.

BUT!! SATA II and SATA 1 are one in the same thing basically. As someone else said, SATA II is just a marketing ploy, Its like having a bus with 25 seats carrying 5 people for SATA I and a bus with 50 seats carrying 5 people for SATA II, same thing. SATA II's actually have more CPU usage I have seen in some tests.

Hmm... I have seen people who had to actually enable their drives for SATA 2, and it made a big difference. Ill have to check into it

SATA II has never had much, if any performance gain over SATA I. Thats why Raptors are only SATA I. They have been out for 4 years now (I think?) and they have not made any kind of jump to SATA II, because they dont need to. But Some people, if they never had a SATA I, and go from say, an ATA drive to SATA II are gonna be like, WHOA!!!, but if they tried an identicle drive that was SATA I, there would be a very negligable difference.

WaTTz, check the HD's OEM for software if you can't find a jumper, its normaly a firmware flash to SATAII (if no jumper is present)

AC3421 said:
Yes Mirror is RAID 0. I'm not sure if 16k is optimal, I think it depends on your Mobo. I always just select the "optimal Setting" but supposedly 16k is best for gaming.

Actually, isn't mirror RAID 1 and Striping RAID 0.

Mirror is Raid1

The setting you are looking for is called striping. that will speed things up quite a bit more. So time to get back and reformat/reinstall the operating system.

sorry!

Hawker-rider said:
Mirror is Raid1

The setting you are looking for is called striping. that will speed things up quite a bit more. So time to get back and reformat/reinstall the operating system.

sorry!

Ya I had striping to begin with :p I just mistyped because I had mirror in my head when posting ...

No reformat needed !!!! :beer:

Raid 0 w/ 16k stripe

16k was the norm (for performance) for NF4 check the stickys ;)

It might bench a little better as is but there is a little bit more to it then that; its done and should work fine, I wouldn't sweat it.

INFO

WaTTz said:
Thanks for the response :D Just got it setup and windows installed !!! Found a great guide over on dfi-street that helped me as well :)

Now, just to enable 3.0gb/s on my drives ? How to do this ?
Seagate has the software to download. I think it is called seatools desktop edition. It downloads a bottable ISO file. Check first though to see if those drives are Sata I by default. Some are...some aren't.

Sorry but I have to disagree with those who say not to bother setting them up as Sata II. Do it!! LOL

Back