• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z-5500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gearhead1972

Has anyone extended the control panel wire on the logitech Z-5500's I know the instructions say not to but has anyone done it? I want to put the sub in the back of the room so I need to extend the Controler cable with a vga cable or extend the 6 input wires.

I think the problem with some monitor extensions, is that the pins are not all isolated. Some pins are shared for grounds and stuff, which could short something out. The only real way to guarantee it will work is if you make your own extension, making sure all the pins are connected correctly, 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc.

The reason Logitech does not recommend extending the cable is due to the fact that the signal generator for the controller does not have enough power to transmit further than the length of the stock cable.

Increased resistance due to a longer cable length (solder points would introduce even more resitance) could conceivably damage the controller signal processor/generator, while signal degradation could lead to lower sound quality.

If a cable extension were technically feasible given the current controler design, Logitech would be sure to sell one, as it would likely be a high-margin, high-demand item.

Back