• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast SATA drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Precision

3Dmark Team Member
Who out there can give me a linky to a Reliable fast drive that isn't the price of a raptor? Something SATA 1.5 gb/s or 3.0gb/s. 70 gig and up. I don't need a huge drive I just want a drive for my OS and the few things I have that i want to run fast E.G. games and photoshop. I really do not have alot of APPS that require speed so space is not a big issue. Plus my current drive is 120 gig. That I can store whatever on and programs that will still run just fine on it.

Correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand the 3.0gb/s SATA drives are just kind of a sales pitch. That basically if you have 2 identical drives only one is SATA 1.5 and the other 3.0 there will be no performace difference. I can settle for a fast 70-200 gig. I mean if they have a fast one at a good price that has more space then great :)

But could someone point me in the right direction?

Precision said:
Who out there can give me a linky to a Reliable fast drive that isn't the price of a raptor? Something SATA 1.5 gb/s or 3.0gb/s. 70 gig and up. I don't need a huge drive I just want a drive for my OS and the few things I have that i want to run fast E.G. games and photoshop. I really do not have alot of APPS that require speed so space is not a big issue. Plus my current drive is 120 gig. That I can store whatever on and programs that will still run just fine on it.

Correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand the 3.0gb/s SATA drives are just kind of a sales pitch. That basically if you have 2 identical drives only one is SATA 1.5 and the other 3.0 there will be no performace difference. I can settle for a fast 70-200 gig. I mean if they have a fast one at a good price that has more space then great :)

But could someone point me in the right direction?
i have this one and its awesome. going to get a second one and raid it soon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148144

read about it here

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=467102

Thanks for the input. Do you think it will perform much better than my old Western Digital Caviar HD120?

This is the closest thing they have to it now
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144414

But mine just has model number 1200 no JS at the end so I am guessing that even this one is better..
In your opinion, do you think I will notice the difference?

In your opinion, do you think I will notice the difference?
Nope. Going from one 7200rpm drive to another is going to provide gains that will basically be unoticeable. Maybe if you go from some old 2MB cache drive to a nice 16MB Seagate with perpendicular recording you would get an improvement that may be felt..........

Well first off, the Burst Speed is not anything you'll ever notice in the real world so you can ignore that. Your seeks times are 2ms faster, which is good and as far as Average Read, well, yeah you're behind and would get a nice improvement with a newer drive, but if your not moving a lot of large files back and forth you're not gonna see that much of a benefit. Remeber that benchmarks are just that and can obviously be affected by the system they are run on.

If price is a concern and you want the most bang for the buck, find a used 36GB Raptor for $50-60 in the classifieds and use it for an OS/app drive. Use your current drive as a data drive and put the page file on that.

tuskenraider said:
Well first off, the Burst Speed is not anything you'll ever notice in the real world so you can ignore that. Your seeks times are 2ms faster, which is good and as far as Average Read, well, yeah you're behind and would get a nice improvement with a newer drive, but if your not moving a lot of large files back and forth you're not gonna see that much of a benefit. Remeber that benchmarks are just that and can obviously be affected by the system they are run on.

If price is a concern and you want the most bang for the buck, find a used 36GB Raptor for $50-60 in the classifieds and use it for an OS/app drive. Use your current drive as a data drive and put the page file on that.

I agree. Just grab a 74 or 36GB raptor and run that. That is pretty much the best upgrade you are going to get for a cheap price.

I just got a 74gb 16mb cache raptor, and I noticed a gain over my 2 Maxtor 8mb Cache 7200 RPM 200gb HDD in RAID 0. The raptor is way faster. Its crazy, now I cant wait to get my second Raptor around christmas.

DEFINETLY the 250 gb or 320 gb 7200.10 Perpindicular Seagate... i have 2 250's on a matrix raid 50gb partition and they are 30mb/s faster than my friends 74gb raptors raid 0 setup... SEAGATE FTW!

pluss their Price / gb ratio is over 3x better than ANY raptor.

79 bucks for 250gb is amazing.

nd4spdbh2 said:
DEFINETLY the 250 gb or 320 gb 7200.10 Perpindicular Seagate... i have 2 250's on a matrix raid 50gb partition and they are 30mb/s faster than my friends 74gb raptors raid 0 setup... SEAGATE FTW!

I'm not even going to get into this discussion again....:bday:

i have 2 250's on a matrix raid 50gb partition and they are 30mb/s faster than my friends 74gb raptors raid 0 setup... SEAGATE FTW!
:confused: You keep on believing that...........just because you only benchmark only a part of the drives by cutting it up with Matirx, doesn't mean the drive became faster, you just measured a smaller part. Sadly, too many people don't seem to understand that using Intel's Matrix doesn't make their drives faster, but are quick to brag about useless results.

Umm... ok.. anyways back to >>THIS<<

Is this "bad" for all the other things I have in my system? Is this causing a bottleneck of any sort? Most of what I do that requires speed is play games. (CS source mostly) Some Battlefield 2 and some other FPS games.Most of them running from HD not CD's. With all the stuff I have. From looking at that post. Do any of you think I will see a noticable gain by getting the faster drive (yes I would go with the 250gb Seagate if any) Raptor cost way too much. Plus I posted that I would like a good used one in the classifieds and got no response from anyone :(

Anything BAD about the Seagate drive also?
I won't be running RAID 0 or anything so that's not an issue.

Thanks

nd4spdbh2 said:

LMAO:)

Is this "bad" for all the other things I have in my system? Is this causing a bottleneck of any sort? Most of what I do that requires speed is play games. (CS source mostly) Some Battlefield 2 and some other FPS games.Most of them running from HD not CD's. With all the stuff I have. From looking at that post. Do any of you think I will see a noticable gain by getting the faster drive (yes I would go with the 250gb Seagate if any) Raptor cost way too much. Plus I posted that I would like a good used one in the classifieds and got no response from anyone

Thanks

As for this, Why not get the WD caviar SE16?? there 16mb Cache, SATA 3.0gb/s and 250 gb for $77 on newegg........

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

Not gonna be raptor speeds, but there fast drives in there own right. Plus Seagates run hotter and that perpindicular recording hasnt seen much of a gain in anything as far as I know.

Precision said:

Is this "bad" for all the other things I have in my system? Is this causing a bottleneck of any sort? Most of what I do that requires speed is play games. (CS source mostly) Some Battlefield 2 and some other FPS games.Most of them running from HD not CD's. With all the stuff I have. From looking at that post. Do any of you think I will see a noticable gain by getting the faster drive (yes I would go with the 250gb Seagate if any) Raptor cost way too much. Plus I posted that I would like a good used one in the classifieds and got no response from anyone :(

Thanks

Hard drives are the slowest part of almost all systems, so anything you can do to improve this is preferred.

Yes, you should see a noticable gain.

If you "need" 250GB then get the Seagate if you only need 74GB then get a raptor off the classys for under $80 or a cheaper idea is a 36GB off the classys for less than $60 and keep you 120GB as a slave drive.

Just do a search in the classys for a raptor, no need to post a wanted usually. Also, check hardforums or ananatech, etc...

I dont know about you, but I dont reccomend buying used Raptors...... Unless you really really want part of the raptor club, just go with a fast normal SATA drive, like the WD i linked to in my last post, or the seagate.

I dont know about you, but I dont reccomend buying used Raptors......
Reasons? The aren't known for a high failure rate and most for sale still have plenty of the 5 yr warrantly left.

Not to be a downer, but I don't think you will see a bit a difference:eh?: , except for all that space you will have now.

Let's see the benchie's when you get it, hopefully you prove me wrong!:thup:

But as most of us know, benchies don't mean squat if he doesn't feel a difference.......

Back