• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Card for Core 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChrisTeel

I fried my system the other night and am upgrading to a new setup. i am going with the Intel D975XBXLKR Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard and an Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93GHz Processor. I have heard about 2 cards in one system and want to know what I should get for about $1000 If there is something really that good i will go over. FYI in my old system I had a x800 pro.

Thanks

Dual GPUs... well, the best solution is the Third-Gen Crossfire X1950XTX, which is very hard to find at the moment, dual X1950XTX GPUs can also offer a huge amount of power as well.
For strictly extreme HD, Quad SLI'ing 7950GX2(s) is also a good solution, but Quad-SLI is yet to be very efficient.

Or you could just wait a couple weeks and get a G80 which will be double the powerful of the 2 best video cards on the market.

Dual X1950's is alot cheaper btw.

Shell said:
Dual GPUs... well, the best solution is the Third-Gen Crossfire X1950XTX, which is very hard to find at the moment, dual X1950XTX GPUs can also offer a huge amount of power as well.
For strictly extreme HD, Quad SLI'ing 7950GX2(s) is also a good solution, but Quad-SLI is yet to be very efficient.

Or you could just wait a couple weeks and get a G80 which will be double the powerful of the 2 best video cards on the market.

Dual X1950's is alot cheaper btw.
Thanks I forgot to say what I wanted it for basicaly games I just got the new flight sim x and it was a bit laggy on my old computer. Also I don't care about dual unless it is better so if a $1000 is eqaul to 2 $500 then I would rather get the 1 card. Also do you have to get an adaptor for the seond card or how does that work. sorry for the nub questions

oh and i was trying to wait for the quad but I forgot to plug in the liquid cooling unit after some work and that turned out great. So I need something now.

Crossfire Dual GPU has an external dongle.
SLI uses an internal bridge.
Third-Gen Crossfire(not shure is that'll be the official name) has 2 bridge connectors, and is much more powerful then any multi-GPU platform to be invented.
The X1950XTX is the most powerful card out there right now, only beaten by the 7950GX2 at extremely high resolutions.

The best for it's price is the X1900XT, a slower clocked X1900... that can easily run at XTX speeds(650mhz) without any more then stock cooling.

The 7950GX2 is a ***** to cool, stock is the only method I know of unless you get 2 low-profile waterblocks and RAM-blocks... or hook-up some extreme heatpipe coolers.

And...
:welcome: Welcome. Welcome, to City 17(OCForums). You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban(forum) centers. I thought so much of City 17(OCForums), that I elected to establish my administration(SSS), here, in the citadel, so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors. I am proud to call City 17(OCForums) my home. And so, whether you are here to stay, or passing through to parts unknown, welcome, to City 17(OCForums). It's safer here.
- Dr. Breen - Half Life 2.

Back