• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7600gs or x800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itchie

Looking to get a new video card, and I've narrowed it down to either the 7600GS or the Radeon x800 as both are about the same price (the 7600GT is beyond my price range). Which should I get? The 7600 is newer technology and supports extra features, but the x800 has ddr3 and 256 bit memory while the 7600gs is 128 bit and ddr2. Which would perform better in games? Also the 7600gs has a bandwidth of 12.8 gb/s while I can't find this figure for the x800.

If would say to go for the Radeon x800gto if you wanted to get one of those two. There is one on Newegg for about 90 bucks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131007

If you look on Tomshardware's interactive GPU charts, you can see a comparison of the two in a few different games. They both win a couple and lose a couple. I have the connect3d version of that card, and it was able to unlock to 16 pipelines and overclock to 560/540. Before the unlock, I was able to play BF2, CS:Source, Doom 3, and X3 at reasonable FPS. It doesn't have SM 3.0, but at this price range, most cards that do have it can't utilise it at decent frames rates.

However, if I were you, I would actually just save a little more money and get the 7600gt since it performs significantly better, and it is only a little more expensive. Here are a couple of reviews comparing the two.
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=547&p=0
http://www.ixbt.com/video2/g73-1-d.shtml#p16

Thanks but I'm in Canada and most American retailers won't ship here, or if they do they charge insane amounts for S&H.

I've thought about waiting for the 7600GT to go down in price, but I plan to go to a few lan parties very soon and want to have my new video card by then.

I think I'm leaning toward the x800, I'll think about it for another day or two and then buy something.

Like I said before, I don't think things like HDR and SM 3.0 are really that important at this price point. If you want things like that, and they do add a lot to the experience of some games, I really do think you would be a lot happier in the long run with the 7600GT.

Which is better the 7600gt or the 7600gts? At newegg there are about the same cost (125). Also is it necessary for me to purchase such a beefy video card: I am planning to play WOW and the Supreme Commander when it comes out. Mainly web surfing and TV. Do you think 7600gt is over kill? Should I stick to something that is old school: 6600gt (can't really find any- at decent prices)

An older card should be ok for WoW. High resolution and high AA might push it a bit but it's an older game. As for SC it looks like it will be a resource beast. I'm sure it will work, as in run, on a 7600GT but not with lots of eyecandy and not at high res.

The 7600'GTS' is something eVGA apparently made up. It has the same specs as a normal 7600GT so it should be the same at same speeds, my guess is they had some extra 7600GT-spec cores and memory and used them on those cards. It's sort of a budget 7600GT, one DVI port and so on.

Back