• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up CS server for my son and his buddies - Port forwarding in Windows 2K3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastiff

I'm gonna let my son play CS with his buddies by running the game in server mode (standard 1.6, non dedicated) on his computer, mostly like a LAN game. I can do port forwarding in the M0n0wall firewall without any problems (I have found a port range to set, TCP: 27030 to 27039 and UDP: 1200. 27000 to 27015), but that's only the outer range of defences. Next step is the server for my home network. I have two networks, one with direct Internet access and one with access through a Windows 2K3 server. And my son's on the second one. So what do I need to do on 2K3 to forward the ports that's been forwarded to it from the M0n0wall?

Thanks in advance!

You need to configure the settings in Routing and Remote Access. You are probably looking for something that says "Services and Ports." I've never setup 2k3 as a router though, and I don't plan to, so I can't walk you through the configuration. Perhaps someone who has more experience with this can help you more?

Thanks. There is a port setting, but I haven't been able to do anythingwith that since it's only miniports with PPTP and L2TP (VPN), and I can't add anything to it. There's something called Static Routes there as well, but hat has to be another thing since it hasn't got a ports setting, only Destination IP, Network mask and "Metric", whatever that is. I have tried to find it, and it's not my first time around 2K3, I justh haven't done anything like this before. :(

Wait, are you using ICS on your 2k3 server? Sounds like you are, otherwise there would be an entry for your NAT route.

edit: I think a worthwhile project would be to remove double NAT from your network. Leverage the strengths of both your m0nowall and your 2k3 server. I would suggest plugging everything into the same broadcast domain, then using m0n0wall for your routing and firewall, and your 2k3 server for DNS and DHCP. You could even take it a step further AND enable RRAS on your server and setup m0n0wall to forward ports in for VPN access, authenticated against AD :)

Last edited:
Thanks, but that's not possible. The line from the M0n0wall, outside my own server, is a shared Internet connection I manage between several houses in my area (wirelessly connected - I live out in the sticks...). And no, I use Routing and Remote Access, not ICS. So I agree, logically there should be something about NAT routing, but I'm probably just so stupid I can't find it...

I love you, and I want to have your children! Wait a minute, that may not be biologically possible... ;) Thank you very much! It works like a charm, at least I can access the CS server on my son's computer from the network outside of the Win 2K3 Server! :D I haven't tried it from the Internet yet, but I can't see that being a problem.

Sweet! I'm glad to know it worked. And hey, I'm sure we could find someone to splice our DNA and implant it in to a willing donor @_@. Anyway, good luck, I don't see why you would have any issues either. If you PM me your external IP address I can verify connectivity using nmap, if you want.

Well, I have one issue: I'm unable to add my server to the list of favourite servers on the computer of the other guy. I try to click "Add server", but nothing happens. Gotta look around the web and find out how. I don't want to mess with Gamespy Arcade or even install it on the computer, if I don't absolutely have to. Do you have any idea how to do this? I tried looking through the config files, but didn't find anything there.

Back