• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GENTOO Error Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Immortal_Hero

I installed Gentoo Linux (first time using/installing linux). I got through the installation fine but when I go to boot I select the OS to boot (Gentoo) and I receive an error, "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount fs on unknown-block(0,0)" I need some help, how do I fix this? Thanks :beer:

When you compiled your kernel, did you include support for the filesystem (built in, not as a module)? Is the root= line in the grub config file pointing to the correct root partition?

make sure you have support for your IDE controller compiled into your kernel. I have an NForce2 motherboard and I made this mistake a few times since that isn't included in the default configuration.

I am using a SATA drive on an ABIT NF7-S which as a SI 3112 (i think) chip on it.

So did you build support for sata_sil in your kernel? it's in the SCSI low level driver section (Silicon Image Sata support)

also notice the post above reminding you to compile in support for your file system (not as a module)

It's good to read through every option of every page of the kernel config, even if you think you don't need it. You'll likely be surprised at some of the things you find buried in there.

Ok, I haven't had time to mess with it anymore. I will take your advise and try again soon. Will post back with results....

Also might want to post in your grub config to make sure you put the right hard disk reference in.

Back