• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most ideal configuration for a home pc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

Hey all. its been a while since i went nuts on the hardware front. I just picked up a good used 165 from our own classifieds, and in spirit of upgrading *modestly* I went ahead and ordered a pair of the popular seagate 7200.10 drives from ncix on sale *$109cdn/ea*

I did a little work with raid beforehand, with two my my 80gb pata drives. i was pretty happy with the results overall, but with this setup, im gonna be using three drives in this box and i am a little unclear on the setup i should follow for best general performence.

I play games like ffxi which have a rediculous amount of data files associated. in fact, with Treasures of Aht Urgan installed, the count comes to 36,474 files in just my playonline folder.

I like to play games like this while viewing web pages and downloading torrents, occassionally watching movies and listening to music ect while editing images and document production..

SOOOOO. what i have =)

MSI K8NGM2-FID. 2x pata, 4x sata2
1x 250gb seagate 7200.9 sata2
2x 320gb seagate 7200.10 sata 2
1x 200 gb seagate 7200.7 pata 100

im thinking of running a single drive for the os and general file storage. like the 250 to boot from. then im thinking of making a raid of the 320gb drives that will be the default program files/page file.

then i dont have windows files, page file or programs running from a single drive.

the other option is to install windows and program files to the raid and run the page file off the 250.

also, which raid option would be most ideal for either of these setups? loading isnt a critical issue since i leave my pc running for weeks with the same programs running.

im still a storage noob for as much work as i have done on pcs heh.

I would use the 320's in a raid 0 for the OS and Appz. Quicker boot and load times.

Use the 250 for the page file.

I would use the 320's in a raid 0 for the OS and Appz. Quicker boot and load times.

Use the 250 for the page file.
+1

And get an imaging program like Acronis True Image to store a backup of the RAID0 setup on the 250GB drive as well if one of the 320's go south.

Back