• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE to SATA converter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shawkins

I have had this IDE to SATA converter for awhile, but have never been able to get it to work.

So I was fiddling around with it last night and still cant get it to work.

IMG_8868.jpg

It has a 4-pin floppy power connector to power the converter, but do I also need to connect the power to the HDD?

I really want to get this to work so I can get rid of the big IDE cables.

Thanks

At least with the Abit ones you have to have both power connectors hooked up, so I assume this is the same way. Also, when I was playing with one a while back, it took some fiddling with the jumpers to get it to work right.

no ide hard drive gets power through the ide connector... unless you are talking a laptop drive, which you would need a special adaptor for, which also requires external power.

I got an IDE to SATA convert thingy when I got my Abit IC7G...

It worked fine but I didnt see any improvement in preformance....

If the HD works with IDE and you can plug it in just use it as IDE???

I don't see why it wouldn't work. When you have the ide to sata cable on. just plug in the 4pin power cable to that bottom right slot. Since power doesn't go though the ide cables.

If all else fails, just use an ide cable. Might be that the converter is DOA, (or just broken if it's old)

SavageBasher said:
make sure its either on cable select or master, and make sure it is spinning up atleast
The HDD works fine when connected through a regular IDE cable.

Ill double check its on master and if that doesnt work, try CS.

Thanks

On mine both power connectors must be connected (IDE + SATA adapter) and HDD set to Master.

Back