• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6300 overclock with stock cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jwwpua

Can the e6300 be oc'd much with stock cooling? Here's what I just ordered:

E6300 1.86ghz
Asus P5B-E
Crucial DDR2 667 (10th anniversary edition)

Anyone got a similar setup and experimented with OC @ stock cooling?

Also, what air cooling would allow me to OC to 3+ ghz safely?

thanks

I wouldn't go with the + but 3Ghz ish or just shy of it should be possible.

If you have good case ventilation and get a good CPU that don't need extra voltage, then the stock heatsink "might" get you about 400 FSB (2.8 gig). Check out the cooling section for overclocking heatsinks.

It's not worth it. As stated above you could probably pump 2.8 out of it; yet with decent air cooling you can safely run 400x7 and not have a worry. Not saying you have to buy an asus cube at all. These E6300's are producing some amazing numbers on stock or near stock Vcore's.

I'd shoot for 2.5Ghz on easy voltage with good case ventilation. Invest in a good solid aircooler and you could get to 400fsb. Watch your temperature try not to go above 55c.

yup i just put in some AS5 yesterday so i don't think it will kick in yet. planning on getting a tuniq or something.

adriana said:
yup i just put in some AS5 yesterday so i don't think it will kick in yet. planning on getting a tuniq or something.

Thats got to be a case ventilation problem if your heat sink is seated properly with AS5 at any stage.

And 2.8Ghz ish should be no sweat for stock Vcore IIRC.

what is stock vcore? also my case has a wind tunnel with 120mm infront and 120mm exhaust. how can we check if we seated the heatsink properly? it feels like its locked tight.

I also got an e6300 and had the stock hsfan on it. I'm getting 55c in BIOS on stock settings. I had a hard time installing the thing, and I reseated it once, so I'm guessing mine is either not seated properly or the base has grooves in it, which I have yet to test. I really hate the way they have it where the pegs snap into those screw holes, I much perfer screwing it into the board. Right now I'm waiting for a special mount I need to use my zalman that I had on my Opty.

Maybe someone has some tips on how to make sure you got those pegs in there and the thing is seated properly.

@adriana, make sure you have all your cables tucked away neatly, and cut the fan grills outta your case if you've got em. you know the crappy kind with just small holes. stock vcore should be around 1.35v, at least that's what it says on the box, but you could probably run stock speeds at a lot less.

@Templi, i would just make sure the pins are pushed allllll the way through, untill you hear them pop... this is probably much easier to do with the mobo outside the case.

as far as gooves on the base, or on the ihs, i don't think you will find anything too bad that would effect performance too much. what you should be more concerned with is if you have a concave ihs, where the center is recessed from the edges. you can test this with a regular ruler, just put it along the ihs, hold it in front of a light bulb, and check for any light coming thru between the ihs and the ruler.

adriana said:
what is stock vcore? also my case has a wind tunnel with 120mm infront and 120mm exhaust. how can we check if we seated the heatsink properly? it feels like its locked tight.

And what 120mm fans are those? What is the CFM rating and what brand are they (to gauge the rating givin)

Back