• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual CPU PII

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skeith

Does anyone know where I can find a list or chart of Pentium II chips that are compatable with each other for dual CPU setup. Im going to pick up an old Dual slot 1 mobo on thursday and Just want to know what Model numbers of the PII 400 are compatable as I have 3 but all are different models. I just want to know if any that I have are compatable or if I need to pick up another one when I buy the mobo, so I dont make multiple trips.

The sSpec doesn't have to be the same although it does help in some cases. Just makes sure for any dual Intel setup that your speed, cache and bus are the same. On PII's and slot PIII's this is found on the top of the processor. On PIII socket it's on the chip.

Well for example I have a PII 80523PY400512 and a PII 80523PY400512PE
Both use 100Mhz bus with a 4x multiplier to give 400Mhz Core with 512Kb cache at half CPU speed. The only difference between the 400 and the 400PE is that one uses the smaller micron technology than the other.
Should these two chips work together on the same board without any bottlenecks or problems?
I pulled the 400 out of a compaq I was selling that noone seemed to want and the PE is in my server currently. (probably put my PII 350 in the compaq but thats off topic).

So these two chips should work together then?
If so then good cause that will save me $10.

Should see if I can get another 2x256MB PC133 memory for the server board since with two chips allocating a max of 512MB I should be able to run 1GB ram. Maybe some SCSI drives.

Skeith said:
Well for example I have a PII 80523PY400512 and a PII 80523PY400512PE
Both use 100Mhz bus with a 4x multiplier to give 400Mhz Core with 512Kb cache at half CPU speed. The only difference between the 400 and the 400PE is that one uses the smaller micron technology than the other.
Should these two chips work together on the same board without any bottlenecks or problems?
I pulled the 400 out of a compaq I was selling that noone seemed to want and the PE is in my server currently. (probably put my PII 350 in the compaq but thats off topic).

So these two chips should work together then?
If so then good cause that will save me $10.

Should see if I can get another 2x256MB PC133 memory for the server board since with two chips allocating a max of 512MB I should be able to run 1GB ram. Maybe some SCSI drives.

Probally not, although oddly enough someone (I forgot who) got a dual core opty and a single core to work together on different processes. Who knows? Can't hurt to try.

I was wrong both use .25u technology. One has a stepping of 1 the other has a stepping of 2. Not sure the differances of the chips though, the features seem to be the same, both are SECC cartridges.
Thats bassicaly all I could tell on cpu-world.com.

I did find some info on intels website about the chips being able to run in different stepping modes and even two different speeds as long as they run the speed of the slowest chip.

So Ill give it a try.

i don't see how it could hurt:beer:

Seriously though, if it doesn't play out then just pick up one on ebay. that stuff is dirty cheap.

The place im buying my motherboard from has a bunch of em for cheap about $10 or so. Hell if their PIIIs are cheap I might come home with a pair of them with the mobo too :p

Personally I don't see the point in running something as old as dual P2s. I did however score a dual P3 rig off ebay for £35 ($60) with dual P3/850MHz CPUs, 512MB RAM and two ethernet cards. I just hooked up an old 4GB HDD I had lying around and I now use it as a folding rig, irc box, and router.

David said:
Personally I don't see the point in running something as old as dual P2s. I did however score a dual P3 rig off ebay for £35 ($60) with dual P3/850MHz CPUs, 512MB RAM and two ethernet cards. I just hooked up an old 4GB HDD I had lying around and I now use it as a folding rig, irc box, and router.

I do.

My fileserver that I have used for the last 3+ years is dual PII 300 on an Asus P2L97-DS (SCSI built in) and I have added 2x ATA133 IDE cards and set them up with linux software RAID on Gentoo. Granted, it doesn't compile anything superfast, but I did have distcc configured at one point (which helped quite a bit) but so long as you're not always updating everything, it's plenty fast for file/web server duties so long as you have enough memory (I'm running 384 MB which is pretty minimal, all things considered). I run the thing with very few fans, so it's extremely quiet and and does what it's intended to.

Don't badmouth the old equipment just yet. When linux stops supporting i686 gen hardware, then I think it's a fair statement.

I am only now migrating to a Dell Poweredge 2300 that I got for $100 (dual P3 500, 2x 15k RPM 18 GB SCSI drives) because it has an integrated SCSI backplane and a lot more room for expansion than my old case had. I ran into a guy with a bunch of quad CPU Dell 6400 servers for the same price, but I talked myself outta it since there was no way I was even getting one of those out of my car and into my basement by myself (was too huge/heavy to move by yourself).

SickBoy said:
I do.

My fileserver that I have used for the last 3+ years is dual PII 300 on an Asus P2L97-DS (SCSI built in) and I have added 2x ATA133 IDE cards and set them up with linux software RAID on Gentoo. Granted, it doesn't compile anything superfast, but I did have distcc configured at one point (which helped quite a bit) but so long as you're not always updating everything, it's plenty fast for file/web server duties so long as you have enough memory (I'm running 384 MB which is pretty minimal, all things considered). I run the thing with very few fans, so it's extremely quiet and and does what it's intended to.

Don't badmouth the old equipment just yet. When linux stops supporting i686 gen hardware, then I think it's a fair statement.

I am only now migrating to a Dell Poweredge 2300 that I got for $100 (dual P3 500, 2x 15k RPM 18 GB SCSI drives) because it has an integrated SCSI backplane and a lot more room for expansion than my old case had. I ran into a guy with a bunch of quad CPU Dell 6400 servers for the same price, but I talked myself outta it since there was no way I was even getting one of those out of my car and into my basement by myself (was too huge/heavy to move by yourself).

Sorry, I meant I dont see the point in going out and setting one up when you can get P3s or something faster for similar money. Nothing wrong with P2 rigs running happily as they are :p.

The main reason im setting up PIIs is because I already have the pair of 400Mhz CPUs. I just collected them over time from old machines. One is im my current single PII server while the other is sitting on my desk. All I need to buy is the dual slot one board. It has 133Mhz bus so it will support PIIIs if and when I decide to upgrade.

Well Im back with the board,... and 2 PIIIs :p

I bought a board that had 2x PIII 450Mhz Chips in it.
Was pulled from a working server but untested.

$45. Wich aint bad considering normaly their PIIIs cost anywhere between $30 and $50 depending on speed.

Asus P2B-DS with onboard scsi
2x PIII 450/512/100/2.0V S1
DSC01479.jpg

Good thing they run on 100Mhz Bus cause I dont know If my PC100 ram would handle 133Mhz bus.

how much PSU power should I have for the 2 chips.
I think It only has a 250Watt in it right now,.. enough?

The PSU will handle that no problem.
Also if you have the right P3s, and your mobo is up for it, you can get them to run at 133x4.5
I have a C0 Katmai core 450MHz P3, its happily running at 600MHz @ stock voltage.

Well my chips have Katmai cores. I dont know the stepping yet. Ill see what I can do once I get her all up n running Im doing a fresh install of win2000.

Only dissapointment is this boatd doesnt support single sided or high density 256MB Simms so I have to find some dual sided 256MB simms. It only allocates 128MB off of each one. Ihave a pair of 64MB simm installed to bring it up to 380MB ram.

Eventually want to get 4x 256 and run 1GB.

Skeith said:
Well my chips have Katmai cores. I dont know the stepping yet. Ill see what I can do once I get her all up n running Im doing a fresh install of win2000.

Only dissapointment is this boatd doesnt support single sided or high density 256MB Simms so I have to find some dual sided 256MB simms. It only allocates 128MB off of each one. Ihave a pair of 64MB simm installed to bring it up to 380MB ram.

Eventually want to get 4x 256 and run 1GB.
http://users.erols.com/chare/main.htm

Back