• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec P180B Question, wires too close to fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikep7779

Hello, i have a P180B with the computer in my sig. I am a little bit concerned about the distance between the hard drive sata and power cabled and the 120mm fan near them. Aswell as the powersupply cables and the fan on the other side. Pics below.

hdcablesandfanjj5.jpg

pwrcablesandfanwt8.jpg

Is this normal? Am i doing something wrong?

might affect airflow slightly, but just make sure they don't touch the blades when its on. could pull them out of the hdd.

Yep, thats exactly how its going to be. Won't really affect much as thats in the lower chamber. Just make sure the little sliding plate up top is locking the cables in place with it screwed down. Not the most ideal setup, but amazing sound reducing case. Will restrict a bit of airflow, but the HD's don't need a huge amount of air over them anyways.

I was thining about moving that fan up to the top chamber, but not sure about how my hd/psu would be. The PSU is getting no benefit from it so i think it may be a waste.

Its not really for the PSU, but the HDs. The reason it's stuck half way is that the further in the fans are, the quieter it is outside the case. I would probably leave the fan there for airflow over the HD's. Then you can find another 120mm fan for the upper bay and remove the upper HD cage(atleast thats what I did).

If you really want to remove the fan, then cover up the holes in the back near the PSU so that it sucks air from the front near the HDs.

I removed the lower fan. My OCZ wires were hitting the fan. Have not had any issues with temps.

No fan down in the lower section gets the harddrives warm.

Fan = 30-36C depending on room temp and activity
No Fan = 45C+ easily

I've never had a harddrive fail thats been in the sub 40C mark and i've had harddrives well into the 50's and still work fine years later but I decide not to take the chance. I have my wires all over the place and have a 120mm fan angled on the side with the PSU. It fits, its tight, and looking currently to take it apart to see what else can be done in that area.

In my P180b with a OCZ Powerstream it actually looks worse than that between the PS and the fan, but it doesn't touch the fan blades, and temps down below via thermometer are good. One thing I did that helped some on the other side, between the fan and the hard drives, is use SATA connectors that have a 90 degree angle on at least one end. I put the angled connector on the hard drive side which keeps the wires well away from the fan, and easier to clean up/route through the hole above. Putting the PC together was no doubt a challenge with this case, but I am loving it now!

dchristm said:
In my P180b with a OCZ Powerstream it actually looks worse than that between the PS and the fan, but it doesn't touch the fan blades, and temps down below via thermometer are good. One thing I did that helped some on the other side, between the fan and the hard drives, is use SATA connectors that have a 90 degree angle on at least one end. I put the angled connector on the hard drive side which keeps the wires well away from the fan, and easier to clean up/route through the hole above. Putting the PC together was no doubt a challenge with this case, but I am loving it now!

Ya i use the 90 degree connector as well, but totally forgot about the 90 degree SATA power connectors doh. Might have to try that out now.

My case definatly looks better now that I redid some of the wiring last night. As well as improved temps.

Back