• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back to the big "I" again...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zx7r

Registered
Hi all. Well, like so many other's around here I'm looking to upgrade and it looks like Intel has the best offering at the mo.

I could do with a few pointers though. Basically, it looks like I can only afford an E6300 (I was hoping for the E6600 but never mind) I need a good m/board with very good o/c ability but not too bothered about wifi etc unless it's cheap (o/c is my main priority) sli/cf would be nice but I won't be going down that road 'till dx10 is the norm which brings me onto my next requirement - a decent g/card capable of playing at 1024/768 (crt) with all the bells and whistles on, oh and a couple gigs of ram which can o/c with the board. I'm looking at o/cing to at least 3 ghz and don't mind o/c the g/card also (I have a nice bios swapped 9800pro - xt at the mo)

Anyway, the bottom line is I have around £600 to spend on this and I realise this could make it a bit hard to do so Ebay is looking good at the mo ;)

H/drives etc I have already so no probs their. Oh, UK only too please...
Now lets see who can come up with the goods first...

Thanks.

Anyone?

C'mon, surely you guys can help me on this one?

I'm no authority on the new Intel motherboards but I hear the 965-based chipsets work really well with the low-end Core 2 Duos. As far as overclocking an intel motherboard goes, I believe the only one that really OCs is the 975XBX "Bad Axe". There are some good non-intel motherboards that use intel chipsets and they overclock fairly well. The Gigabyte DS3 is one that I see many people here using.

~$1,125.00 USD is the budget *had to look that up ;) *

So you need a CPU, Ram and GFX card with this budget? Possibly a PSU upgrade?

Do you have any parts from the current rig that you will be selling?

greenmaji said:
~$1,125.00 USD is the budget *had to look that up ;) *

So you need a CPU, Ram and GFX card with this budget? Possibly a PSU upgrade?

Do you have any parts from the current rig that you will be selling?

Hi, yeah I need a psu as well. I will be selling my current system but have included that in the price quoted give or take £50

I was looking at the abit ab9 or p5b delux wifi (£90 - £120 respectively) for the m/board.
Ram would maybe be Crucial CT2KIT12864AA53E for around the £150 mark.

So i'm left with cpu (£100 ish), g/card and psu...

As I said, I have been looking at ebay for used prices for cpu's but I can only save about £10 - £20 on an e6300. I'm not sure which g/card to get though.

Thanks.

zx7r said:
Hi, yeah I need a psu as well. I will be selling my current system but have included that in the price quoted give or take £50

I was looking at the abit ab9 or p5b delux wifi (£90 - £120 respectively) for the m/board.
Ram would maybe be Crucial CT2KIT12864AA53E for around the £150 mark.

So i'm left with cpu (£100 ish), g/card and psu...

As I said, I have been looking at ebay for used prices for cpu's but I can only save about £10 - £20 on an e6300. I'm not sure which g/card to get though.

Thanks.
It only makes sense to go with a gfx card that supports DX10. And the only 2 available right now are the NVIDIA 8800GTX and 8800GTS. Or you could go for a cheaper DX9 card and wait for ATI's R600 which I am doing.

RangerXLT8 said:
It only makes sense to go with a gfx card that supports DX10. And the only 2 available right now are the NVIDIA 8800GTX and 8800GTS. Or you could go for a cheaper DX9 card and wait for ATI's R600 which I am doing.

That's the plan here too. A decent dx9 card to tide me over 'till dx10 is the norm then upgrade.

Back