• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

socket A guide ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rajanm1

i was just wondering if anyone knows where i can find a socket A installation guide for a phase change unit? (i just wont to find the max that this XP1700+ can do)
:confused:
thanks

It doesn't really matter what socket you are insulating, it's the same for all of them. Search google for cpu socket insulation guide or whatever and you'll find what you need.

Pretty much just fill the socket with dielectric grease (sp?) and use acid free silicone/liquid electric tape/more dielctric grease around the outside, and slap down the insulation.

what insulation do you recomend and where can i get all of this from in the UK? (local hardware shop?)
thanks
rajan

I don't mean to be negative, but I wouldn't bother unless it is a Tbred B, even under high end phase on a top end socket A board, a Palomino would hardly do squat without vcore so high it would quickly turn to toast and a Tbred A wouldn't be much better.

For insulation, I just used a bunch of reasonably dense foam from a hardware store and a mix of cable ties and duck tape to hold it together. It's a bit ad hoc and doesn't look great, but it did the trick.

Good luck.

thanks for your reply, but i was not going to run this 24/7 just wanted to test the unit because i am going to hopefully finish building my new rig with a c2D (prob e6600) and just wanted to know how well the phase change unit worked.

You want to test your phase change unit?
A fabricated heatload (based on resistance) is the most common and safer then testing on hardware.

If in fact the phase unit worked on your socket A system, what would that tell you about its affectiveness on a C2D system? The heatload wouldn't be the same or a calculated estimate there of.

The stuff I got was called Rubber pipe insulation tape.

Dielectric grease can be picked up at most auto parts stores.

Liquid eletrical tape at either.

Personally I like dielectric in the socket and using nail polish in the place you would use liquid electrical tape becuase it comes off easier.

thanks for your replies,
i have put on my shopping list:
Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Paste (already bought of ebay)
ArctiClean (got of ebay aswell)
di electric grease
nail varsnish (clear)

anything else you think that i need or may come in handy?
what should i use for insulation between the head unit and the socket, and also from the unit to the head unit?

thanks

It's an additional layer of protection from condensation. Put it around basically anything thats going to be cold (i.e. your evap, excluding of course the base). You can also put some on the back side of the motherboard where the socket is (placing silicone down first or something like nail varnish) for extra protection in that area.

how thick do you recommend?
also anything else i have missed?
thanks

Its used for its insulative properties and how think depends on how cool your unit can get.
Its just a matter of reaserch to find the right thickness for your target -C's

Most actually use less then what is recomended by temp. charts that Ive seen.
Being 1" thick for above average low single stage temps.

Back