• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.25 Bay Fan Mounting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blind 3ye

I am looking for a 5.25" Bay Fan Mounting. Currently with my setup, I have a direct air flow from my 2 empty bottom bays, back through my CPU, and out the rear exhaust fan . CPU cooling has become a problem in my case, as I have a rear exhaust positioned behind the CPU, but currently the only Intake to the CPU is my PS fan. I have a 120mm fan for my bottom front intake, but in Full tower cases, an intake fan at the bottom has little effect on the top 1/3 of the case (I've temped it while running and idle and it seems all the air is being used as an intake for my GPU fan and exhaust).
Of the fan mountings that I've seen, the only one that provides a direct air flow (not directing it down to the HDD's or up to the optical drives) is made by Scythe: http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/008/sckb1000_detail.htmlorder to direct the airflow directly back. I am a big fan of the 120mm fan, though several 80mm fans would do the trick.
Currently, as it is set up, I have one of the bottom bay covers/bezels removed, and a noticeable amount of air is entering from this opening. Since I still have these covers, I have the option of making a duel+ 80mm fan mounting, but it definitely won't look good.

Welcome to the forums.

Are you sure the PSU fan is an intake? Most if not all PSU fans suck air from inside the case and exhaust it out per ATX specifications.

Could you take a picture of your case? Air will flow from areas of higher pressure to lower pressure... the cool air entering from the front of your case should make it up to the PSU

As for mounting a 120mm fan... could you not use some zipties or some aluminum channel? It would be much cheaper.

PSU is an Exhaust

Yeah, you're right. The PSU fan is an exhaust fan, I'm not sure why I thought it was an intake :bang head . (nothing like blowing warm air on your already heated CPU)
I'll take a picture tonight or tomorrow (my day off :beer:) and post it so you can get a better idea. The problem w/ the intake at the bottom is that the cool air from the intake doesn't naturally rise above the very hot region around my CPU, and this is location my problematic area (as with most people). Then again, the negative pressure generate by 2 large exhaust fans near my CPU probably do help disperse this cold air, but an intake that directly feeds my CPU w/ cold air would be exponentially more efficient (or at least this what I am hoping/planning).
Zip-ties or some form of cable attachment would work, but again it's not going to be pretty. Although my missing bezel is'nt a real eye pleaser either.

Ah, finally got this hosted. Please be aware that the arrows size has absolutely zero relation to their function or design of the fan (just the results of a horrible artist using Paint).

SideView.jpg

Everything is pretty self explanatory. Although it is hard to see my Video Card, but trust me it's there. Since its a direct side view, it is a little hard to determine depth, but the majority of the cables are out of the way (except that pesky round IDE cable, which needs to be replaced w/ a longer version). It's a little hard to see, but you can see the PSU Fan directly above my CPU.

FrontView.jpg

This is a pretty good representation of the direction I plan to move air through my case. Again the IDE cable is in the way, but it's going to be moved. Also the CPU Heatsink and Fan are being replaced by Thermaltake's SilentTower: (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Cooler/Retail/cl-p0025/cl-p0025.asp)
This new CPU Heatsink and Fan will help direct the air out the back of the case, as I assume I can aim it directly back.
I also have my hardware information in a report file, if anyone thinks that will help get a better idea of my setup.

Yeah, the case is a Antec P160. So far it has been a nice case, although i am having mixed feelings regarding this angled HDD enclosure. With the HDD turn as they are, less air flows over them for cool, although it makes swapping drive so much easier. I am quite sad that the lights on the front stopped working (a short somewhere, i am currently looking for it).
I think i am sticking w/ the Thermaltake version, mainly because i already won the auction for a new unit ($32 after shipping) before i read your post.
Now i just need to work out the cable clutter, and get it installed.

Blind 3ye said:
Yeah, the case is a Antec P160. So far it has been a nice case, although i am having mixed feelings regarding this angled HDD enclosure. With the HDD turn as they are, less air flows over them for cool, although it makes swapping drive so much easier. I am quite sad that the lights on the front stopped working (a short somewhere, i am currently looking for it).
I think i am sticking w/ the Thermaltake version, mainly because i already won the auction for a new unit ($32 after shipping) before i read your post.
Now i just need to work out the cable clutter, and get it installed.

Eye,

Nice looking unit and a good job as was ziggy's ex-unit.

A little suggestion, and it may or may not pertain or work in your unit. A fan sits nicely on the floor of a drive bay fastened with a clear silicone RTV. The RTV kills vibration, holds very well and you can rock the fan back and forth to break the seal if you want to move it. The silicone peels right off. It's the only thing holding this 80mm fan for the RAMs. Later when I finish cleaning up and moving wires out to the way a 120mm fan will fit the same place too.

I know it's always a pain looking for holes to run tie-wraps. I'd like to know if your temperature drop is measurable because I have the same plan and location to place a 120 mm fan only in a much smaller case.

Last edited:
P4 stock fan as 5.25 intake

i use a stock P4 northwood as fan intake its olso 3 pin and was free when i upgraded my cpu with aftermarket cooling.

oh and theres a old pic of my rig gone aftermarket on GPU.
and baught a corsair 850 to break it in for my next build once i decide to upgrade to 775 or i5/i7.

Attachments

• Picture 197_resize.jpg
    Picture 197_resize.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4,348
  • Picture 194_resize.jpg
    Picture 194_resize.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 4,341
Back