• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not your average - x1950xtx or wait for R600 thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the garynator

Chief folding_monkey
So after seeing initial reports on the R600, I'm starting to wonder if I should wait.

Currently I'm building a Conroe system...Here are the things I still need to get besides a video card:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6300 ]
Intel® Desktop Board DG965WH ]--- $220.00 (intel retail edge FTW!!)
Microsoft* Windows Vista* Ultimate ]

I am currently waiting on employment verification on the Core2 bundle deal, so I probably won't have the mobo/CPU till late in Nov.

MCP655 or MCW350 pump ]--- $50.00-$70.00 (Used - depends on which one I find a deal on)

Crucial Technology 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail ]--- $229.99

Also wondering if I should go this route or get a Cheap 1gb DC kit and hold off till memory prices drop or I find a good deal in the classies. Anyone know when memory prices are supposed to drop and by how much? I've herd that it will be a substantial drop and should happen in like January or something.

A second PSU of some sort ]--- $40.00-$80.00

Still debating this one, I'll have a post up about this in the PSU section eventually.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have a total of $555.00 in my pocket right now, and I have another $80.00 in rebates that should be here in the next couple of weeks. Also, I've got a few sales pending in the classifieds to the tune of around $100.00-$200.00.

So now I'm trying to decide if I still want to buy an x1950xtx.

The reason this is different from other threads is that I can get a brand new x1950xtx for $299.99... If I go this route, I'll probably have to wait longer to get the system up due to the fact that funds will be tight, I'll either need to sacrifice the watercooling (which really isn't going to be needed till I get a new mobo), RAM, or a secondary PSU.

If I sacrifice the secondary PSU, I would either be sacrificing the capability to run all 8 hdd's internally or putting them at risk by using a cheap 450w "Austin" PSU.

Here are some of the factors of that are making me lean towards the x1950xtx:

- Folding@Home - 800+ ppd!
- Playing new games at high quality
- Bragging rights
- The price is really good!
- Folding@Home - 800+ ppd!
- Resale should be decent

My other option is that I can get an X800GTO2 for about $75.00-$80.00 from a friend.

Factors making me lean towards the x800GTO2:

- Cheap
- with the money I save, I can get everything else and probably still afford the AW9D-Max and OC the hell out of the e6300
- Won't have a lot of money tied up in a video card that is going to be obsolete in 1-2 months
- In all honesty, I pretty much was fine w/ my 9800xt due to not having much time to play games anyway, although I probably would make more time to play them if I had an x1950xtx.

Some things that will probably impact my decision heavily:

- How long and if I will be able to get a R600 at as huge of a discount as I can get the x1950xtx
- Resale value of the x1950xtx, I'd assume I could probably get close to what I paid (rather, will pay) for it in the end of Dec. or early Jan. (depending on when the R600 is released).
- Price of R600 in relation to value of the x1950xtx
- Release of an Abit w/ nVidia's new 680i and it vs the AW9D-Max/intel's 975 (from initial reports, it seems the 680i mobos are hitting 500+mhz fsb's)
- Approximate Release Date of the R600
- R600 actual Performance vs. expected performance.
- Suggestions/Advice

I guess I was mainly going to buy it because of folding and the price. I'm also worried that either way I go I won't have the money to purchase the R600 for a while after it is released. I also don't want to repeat my whole "buy a 9800xt for $429.99 when a card offering twice the performance is on the horizon"

Any thoughts, comments, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Gary

PS: sorry for wasting so much of your time w/ this ridiculously long post that could probably have been one sentence long lol.

Last edited:
Nevermind, all of that typing I did was in vain it turns out....The x1950xtx is no longer available to me for $299.99 :(

Back