• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop harddrive help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ursine3000

I have the laptop mentioned in my signature but recently the computer has "had trouble communicating with device." I figured I would just open up the laptop and make sure its plugged in properly but I cant figure out how to get that far into my laptop, any suggestions?

ursine3000 said:
I have the laptop mentioned in my signature but recently the computer has "had trouble communicating with device." I figured I would just open up the laptop and make sure its plugged in properly but I cant figure out how to get that far into my laptop, any suggestions?
Try HP's site.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN&product=468789&dlc=en#
Not to get down on ya, but why on earth would you post a question like that without searching first?
hp.com...HP Pavilion dv4000...paste...click = answer?

And if i get chastised for this, I'm gonna argue!

Last edited:
Usually the HDD is in a caddy that comes out with one screw. It should slide right out after you remove the screw. HDD's and RAM are 2 of the things that laptop manufactures make fairly easy to get to.

Now if you want to get to the Mobo you have to usually remove the keyboard. It is usually held on by screws on the bottom of the computer. I have replaced MOBO's in an IBM laptop and a Compaq and they were very similar. Just be careful. There are some plastic parts that have to bend to be removed but if you are too forecful they will break.

As stated earlier, google is your friend since it is unlikely that anyone here has taken apart the exact laptop that you have.

Back