• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 8800GTS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMatt2600

Registered
Just wanted your thoughts on this video card. I've got a eVGA 680i motherboard, and an intel E6700 with 2x2gig corsair DDR2.

Sorry if this is out of topic, but what overclock did you get with that mobo? and also what PCxxxx is your ram? Thanks

I'm still really new at this and haven't overclocked it yet (I can't wait to though), my roommate is going to help me with that. as for the ram its the Corsair XMS2 PC2 6400.

That RAM is awsome by the way. Mine is OC'd right now at 908Mhz with 5-4-4-10 timings down from 5-5-5-12 and the Video card is one of the best of the best right now (only the GTS and GTX anyways for the 8 series right now)

the firingsquad review of the gtx and gts showed the gtS being able to overclock quite well and provide better performance than a stock gtX. Granted, a gtx could then be overclocked as well, but they claim it did not have as much headroom as the gts. I think the GTS is a great option once it drops down from the initial inflated price into the 400-450 range.

Thoughts on it are that it's pretty much ownage right now, yea it's behind the GTX but it costs less too.

Just so you know about the Ram, Corsair is probably the most inconsistent of the major brands because they constantly switch the ICs used on their sticks so the revision is more important to know than the basic model. But with an e6700 you have a 10x multi you won't be limited by ram anyway.

thats a great card that can get 8800gtx performance for roughly $150 less on average so far...

I seen PNY's with 5 year warranty for $450 on their site, the 8800gtx is $600 there, if I had seen that sooner I would have got that instead of the eVGA and saved $50 !

Hey guys thanx for all the input. I'm still learning about all this stuff. Up until now i've always gone with Dells and thought overclocking was pointless and just a way to fry a computer. But now I am learning differently. The reason I went with the Corsair ram is because it was recomended to me by several people and its what EVGA recommended witht the motherboard but I may look at different options. I'm still piecing this thing together. Again thanks everyone this forum has been great to me and the guides really helped me learn a lot quickly and answered most of my off questions off the bat.

MadMatt2600 said:
Hey guys thanx for all the input. I'm still learning about all this stuff. Up until now i've always gone with Dells and thought overclocking was pointless and just a way to fry a computer. But now I am learning differently. The reason I went with the Corsair ram is because it was recomended to me by several people and its what EVGA recommended witht the motherboard but I may look at different options. I'm still piecing this thing together. Again thanks everyone this forum has been great to me and the guides really helped me learn a lot quickly and answered most of my off questions off the bat.

:welcome: to the forums. Glad to hear you're steering away from the Dells. If you go with a GTS, let us know how it performs; I'm very interested to hear. I never like to buy the biggest and the best. I think cheaper cards that clock extremely high are always a better value (IE. This 7900 GT and the 7900 GTOs).

It's not that Corsair is bad exactly, their quality is good, it's just that from an overclocker perspective we want to know what chips a stick of ram uses and corsair switches that a lot with no way to know when you buy them. Imo it's also overpriced for what you get.

Back