• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone upgraded from an X800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randalthas

Registered
I have the X800GTO2 in my sig and was wondering if anyone has made this upgrade to the X1900XT. Is it a huge performance jump? I can't convince myself that it would be a large improvment for the money. Currently, I just play Doom3, WoW, and EQ2.

Any thoughts?

Considering you have your GTO2 @ X850XT PE+ Speeds, the jump to a X1900*** probably will not be too big. You could probably run higher resolutions in the games listed, with AA+AF enabled, but other than that you probably will not notice much of a difference. With the next gen cards already here, I would not do it. I would save up and get a Conroe/DX10 card if you are really itching to upgrade.

Bryan D

yeah i went from an x800xl to an x1900xt 256meg, and while there was a pretty big jump in preformance (about 1.8x) it was nullified by me changing the res i run my games at :) used to have to use 1024x768 2x/4x, and now i run 1680x1050 4x/8x looks much better but around the same framerates (60fps capped)

i went to from a x850 xt at pe speeds to a 7900gt oced to gtx speeds so its realitively equavivelent to a x1900xt and to be honest it wasn't the greatest thing that ever happened in my computer centric sphere of reality. I got through oblivion and fear using my x850 and i was just as happy playing fear with my x850xt as i was with the 7900gt although i did swittch to a new lcd from a 6 year old ctr and that helped.
If i rember correctly the preformance diffrence in 3d mark 05 should be around 3000-3500 points and with high settings in fear youll jump 20-30 frames scene for scene. Over all the diffrence is probably about 50-60% and scening as the new x8800gts/x will almost double a x1950 wait a bit and gain alot

You could look out an unlockable X1900GT (the R580 "PRO" model), as they are pretty cheap, can perform on a par with the X1900XT, and have software voltage control too. Otherwise, I suggest waiting for an affordable Dx10 card.

i upgraded from an x800GTO ultimate to a x1950xtx 512mb. The performance was cerainly better (playing WoW), but the x800 was really good enough. I really made the switch so I could run WoW on maxed settings, and still do video capture with fraps.

If $$'s an issue, I'd wait a couple months. I had the extra $ at the time, and I'm a tech-*****, so... ^_=

Cheers,
-Rabbix

Want more performance? It seems that you'd be better off by going with two gigs of RAM instead of upgrading your card, that is if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket.

If you're happy with your RAM and just want to upgrade your video card, I'd wait. Then again I'm the type of person to skip a generation in product so that I'm not upgrading every year.

I went from and x800gto2 to the x1900xt. Its alot more powerful, but like others are saying its not groundbreaking. I was able to play just about everthing I wanted with the x800 including Oblivion and FEAR and it worked just fine. I also bought my x1900 with a 20" widescreen though, so it provides more power for more pixels. I was using the x800 with a 19" crt.

Back