• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best DFI for an Opteron that will hit 3+ ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

will_ssi

Hey all- My first question: Can I run 2 ati cards in crossfire on an nF4 SLI board? Have the bios updates for the CFX3200 helped the auto settings for some of the more advanced options in the bios be more tuned? After reading the anandtech review of the CFX3200, it sounds like there are just too many options (if you don't have weeks to devote to testing). While I feel confident setting up a range of memory values, voltages and dividers it seems as if this board goes far far beyond that.

Motherboards under consideration: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-D, DFI CFX3200, DFI Ultra-D

I currently I have an opteron 165 that is limited by the motherboard it's in. I'm using an A8V deluxe, and that via chipset doesn't want to be stable over 278 fsb which limits this CPU to 2.5ghz. From the stepping info off the chip, it's one of the optys that most consistently hits 3ghz+, and I would love to push that chip to that point. I have heard that DFI boards are the best for overclocking (939 at least) for a while now, and wanted to ask this community which board they would recommend for the hardware setup I've envisioned.

I would like to have the computer running at a 333 FSB with my 9x multi so I can hit 3ghz, and I want to use 2x1gb dual-channel sticks of memory anywhere between ddr430 - ddr550. I don't want to spend more than about $200 on the memory. What 2gb kits are known to work well with those DFI boards? What are some of the cons to these boards? Aside from too many options on the CFX3200 and memory compatability on all the boards, I don't know issues that people commonly have with DFI.

Would this memory work well with any of the DFIs? Apparently the DFI boards are sensitive to different PSUs also, is an ANTEC 550watt enough for 2 x1950s 1 opteron @ 3ghz and 4 physical drives? (2 sata HDs, 2 optical)

Argh, I have so many questions haha. Any help would be great, thanks guys.

:welcome:

i have the dfi LP sli-d and got it too boot into windows @ 3.4Ghz:beer: but it dident last (ram issue):bang head

as for a psu i resommend a OCZ powerstream or Pc power and cooling silencer 610 watt, i dont know about that antec psu.

will_ssi said:
Hey all- My first question: Can I run 2 ati cards in crossfire on an nF4 SLI board? Have the bios updates for the CFX3200 helped the auto settings for some of the more advanced options in the bios be more tuned? After reading the anandtech review of the CFX3200, it sounds like there are just too many options (if you don't have weeks to devote to testing). While I feel confident setting up a range of memory values, voltages and dividers it seems as if this board goes far far beyond that.

Motherboards under consideration: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-D, DFI CFX3200, DFI Ultra-D

I currently I have an opteron 165 that is limited by the motherboard it's in. I'm using an A8V deluxe, and that via chipset doesn't want to be stable over 278 fsb which limits this CPU to 2.5ghz. From the stepping info off the chip, it's one of the optys that most consistently hits 3ghz+, and I would love to push that chip to that point. I have heard that DFI boards are the best for overclocking (939 at least) for a while now, and wanted to ask this community which board they would recommend for the hardware setup I've envisioned.

I would like to have the computer running at a 333 FSB with my 9x multi so I can hit 3ghz, and I want to use 2x1gb dual-channel sticks of memory anywhere between ddr430 - ddr550. I don't want to spend more than about $200 on the memory. What 2gb kits are known to work well with those DFI boards? What are some of the cons to these boards? Aside from too many options on the CFX3200 and memory compatability on all the boards, I don't know issues that people commonly have with DFI.

Would this memory work well with any of the DFIs? Apparently the DFI boards are sensitive to different PSUs also, is an ANTEC 550watt enough for 2 x1950s 1 opteron @ 3ghz and 4 physical drives? (2 sata HDs, 2 optical)

Argh, I have so many questions haha. Any help would be great, thanks guys.

1) If you want to run 2xATI cards, get the CFX3200. It's the only one you listed that can handle the two cards. BTW, all the boards you listed have the extensive BIOS. HAlf of th e options are useless to many of us, unless you like tweaking to the max.

2) Good memory kits include the OCZ XTC PC4000 series, the GSKILL PC4000 HZ series, and some Mushkin PC4000 (with the black heatspreader). GOod luck finding them, they're all out of stock.

3) Even though the stepping might be verified to be excellent, you may have a dud. Just cause the stepping is good doesn't mean it'll overclock well. Your chances are just higher if many people report excellent OCs.

Cons to the board are virtually none, unless you don't like reading about how the DFI BIOS works.

As for a power supply, Antecs suck. THey're generally good in reliability, but CWT (the company Antec gets to build some of its PSUS) uses cheap capacitators that are failure prone. FOr a good power supply, I would head for the Corsair HX620W or a Seasonic 600w/700w. I would avoid Antec for your type of build.

Another PSU to consider is the OCZ GameXStream 700W, but it has a higher amount of ripple than the COrsair. I would head with the COrsair.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I don't want to appear lazy, to OC at all one has to read and be familiar with their components. But never having seen a DFI board in action, much less get inside the BIOS of one; I was just going by what Anandtech had reported i.e that there are far far too many options in the bios that you are required to manually set because 'auto' is not reliable. I don't mind a challenge, but everything is a trade-off. I go to school full time, work full time and like to play with hardware in my off time. I don't want this build to be a 3rd job right as finals are around the corner. The more I'm reading, I think I'll go with the ultra-D and forget the idea of running SLI. Thanks for the suggestions on memory and power supplies- this community, as always, has been very helpful.

will_ssi said:
Thanks for all the input guys.

I don't want to appear lazy, to OC at all one has to read and be familiar with their components. But never having seen a DFI board in action, much less get inside the BIOS of one; I was just going by what Anandtech had reported i.e that there are far far too many options in the bios that you are required to manually set because 'auto' is not reliable. I don't mind a challenge, but everything is a trade-off. I go to school full time, work full time and like to play with hardware in my off time. I don't want this build to be a 3rd job right as finals are around the corner. The more I'm reading, I think I'll go with the ultra-D and forget the idea of running SLI. Thanks for the suggestions on memory and power supplies- this community, as always, has been very helpful.

Heh. Like I said, ALL DFI boards come with that BIOS one or another. BTW, if you do decide to go with the Ultra-D (a very good board too), it can be modded to support SLI and SATA 3.0 support. Just take the NF4 chipset, bridge two connections, and voila, you're done. If you wanted SLI without having to do that, you could just get the SLI-D for $130 (about 30 bucks more) or the SLI-DR for around the same $130, which would be better than the SLI-D.

All DFI boards have that extensive BIOS. Make sure you have a good power supply to overclock.

all the DFI boards have extremely extensive bios settings but i mean for a guy like me they weren't that overwhelming. i've normally used Asus bioses which are not as detailed and i OCed fine.

the one thing to be weary about when getting the CFX3200 board is the fact that there are numerous reported issues with ULI 1575 southbridge that the board uses. if you can for go using SATAII then this board is for you. i use the SIL 3114 chipset in raid-0 and it works great. good performance and stable as hell. i'm only running a X1900GT on it but yea it can do crossfire. probably the best crossfire board out there.

your third options is to get the Asus A8R32-MVP board. its the exact same board as the DFI CFX3200 cept that one has notorious issues with stuttering in games for no odd reason. supposedly there is a driver update but i did not try it out. those are your 2 options. granted there are other boards out there.. i felt that they werent that great of boards so these are the 2 brands to stick with.

happy turkey-day. :)

all the DFI boards have extremely extensive bios settings but i mean for a guy like me they weren't that overwhelming. i've normally used Asus bioses which are not as detailed and i OCed fine.

the one thing to be weary about when getting the CFX3200 board is the fact that there are numerous reported issues with ULI 1575 southbridge that the board uses. if you can for go using SATAII then this board is for you. i use the SIL 3114 chipset in raid-0 and it works great. good performance and stable as hell. i'm only running a X1900GT on it but yea it can do crossfire. probably the best crossfire board out there.

your third options is to get the Asus A8R32-MVP board. its the exact same board as the DFI CFX3200 cept that one has notorious issues with stuttering in games for no odd reason. supposedly there is a driver update but i did not try it out. those are your 2 options. granted there are other boards out there.. i felt that they werent that great of boards so these are the 2 brands to stick with.

"it can be modded to support SLI and SATA 3.0 support" < i dont get that.. you cant do crossfire on an NF4 chip.... well atleast not very well.. i've heard of some people doing workarounds but those have like half the performance of regular crossfire setups... if you got ati cards best to go with a native solution.

yea and btw the CFX3200 boards with the new bios are able to do 333fsb with 5xHTT settings. yes HTT will be at around 1500.
as for memory... hmm.... i have OCZ Gold series DDR500 and they work really well... i'm not overclocked right now cause i use the CnQ. but i know i can do 300FSB 9xmulti and HTT is still on 5x and its dual prime stable and 3dmark stable as well.

happy turkey-day. :)

Back