• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I take this update?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gig-O-Ram

I just noticed this update that came in, and I don't know if I should take it or not. It is the MSXML 4.0 SP2 security update(925672), and it says:

A vulnerability exists in Microsoft XM core services that could allow for information disclosure because the XMLHTTP ActiveX control incorrectly interprets an HTTP server-side redirect. It gives this address for more info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925672

Basically, I have no idea what this is for. I went to the MS website where they have all this information about ActiveX Parsers, and different service packs where it relates to this update (it's even talking about SP5 and SP7:confused: )...but I don't even know if I have MSXML parsers or not, or what version it is if I do - which I probably do and don't know it. There is a link to a list of all these .dll files, and all kinds of info (and I still don't know what they're talking about), but I don't know if any of it applies to me.

Weird that hasn't come up for me I just did a scan of Microsoft Update nothing came up with that code. I even checked my security updatesI have backed-up on my DVD-R disc that I keep so I can create a new slipstream disc of XP & SP2 and it isn't on there.

Must be for Home Edition only and not Pro and speaking of updates to slipstream I have 89 of the twats backed-up cause my Pro is 3 years old build 0 as nLite says. Then my SP2 CD-ROM is from May 2005 so I have 89 excluding the next lot coming up next Tuesday.... oh brother.

Last edited:
AngelfireUk83 said:
Weird that hasn't come up for me I just did a scan of Microsoft Update nothing came up with that code. I even checked my security updatesI have backed-up on my DVD-R disc that I keep so I can create a new slipstream disc of XP & SP2 and it isn't on there.

Must be for Home Edition only and not Pro and speaking of updates to slipstream I have 89 of the twats backed-up cause my Pro is 3 years old build 0 as nLite says. Then my SP2 CD-ROM is from May 2005 so I have 80 excluding the next lot coming up next Tuesday.... oh brother.

I don't know...I have Pro SP2 v5.01.2600, and I got it. But now the icon on the taskbar that lets me know I have updates isn't there, so maybe I'll have to see if it comes back, because I still haven't downloaded it.

Back