• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista, antivirus software, and problems (self inflicted of course)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ziggey

I screwed around with some of the antiviruses currently offered for Vista and managed to quickly get viruses. Yes, I was downloading those special videos, and yes I had all the firewall/antivirus enabled and up to date. I was just curious if the Vista flavors were as secure as my Norton on Xp has been. Well as of last week they weren't. Anyway, just a heads up.
There were only a very few to test at the time I tried this.

Ziggey said:
I screwed around with some of the antiviruses currently offered for Vista and managed to quickly get viruses. Yes, I was downloading those special videos, and yes I had all the firewall/antivirus enabled and up to date. I was just curious if the Vista flavors were as secure as my Norton on Xp has been. Well as of last week they weren't. Anyway, just a heads up.
There were only a very few to test at the time I tried this.

As i've been using xp pro, and now using vista - i always use antivir from www.free-av.com and never had problems. Norton is great company but not perfect ant too big for some systems [slow computer work eating a big amount of RAM].

That's my opinion.

I've only stuck with them for so long because I've never had a virus over all these years. I've ran the internet protection package. I should of mentioned earlier that when I said I got a virus, I got one of those pesky ones that delete the dvd drives and creates a new account. My admin account was renamed etc.
Anyway it's just odd since installing a simple game takes 30 minutes to install because Vista askes for permission a dozen times to put things on the hard drive and access the internet with a new progam.

Back