• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What makes CPU OC'n hard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

I often hear people saying it takes patience and lots of time to get the maximum OC. But for me atleast, when I get a new CPU, it takes me no more than an hour. COnsidering you already know your memories capabilities, and you dont OC your HT, I dont see how it can take long or be tideous at all.

Tell me if there is something wrong with my process. When I get a new CPU this is what I do.

Max out the vcore. Normally shoot for 1.55v.
Then I crank up the CPU clock till I cant boot into windows.
Then I start turning the vcore down little by little till I cant boot into windows.
Then I do a stability test.
Normally 1 or 2 adjustments after this.

Besides the stability test, I cant see spending more than an hour at my PC tweaking with settings.

--pak

Most people go for 12+ hour stability before they are happy with a OC. So for example someone does what you do and then finds out Orthos failed after 8 hours... then its back to the drawing board.

Alot of times people are always (like myself) trying to figure out how to get little higher OC than what they had before. So yes it can be time consuming.

well, i can tell you more vcore isnt always the answer. my old 3700 with a default of 1.4v, did not like more then 1.475v in the bios, it hit its peak stable clock at 1.45v, of course you could use as much vcore you want to get it to scale, but it doesnt mean its going to be stable. that same 3700 did 3ghz with 1.6v, but it wasnt prime stable past 2830 with 1.45. i had a 4400 that craved voltage, but it wasnt a stable cpu past 2600. then i had a 4200, core0 was such a pos, it topped at 2.5ish, but core1 would go to 2800. voltage couldnt fix that either. then theres core2, its such a pleasure to oc an intel.

pak said:
I often hear people saying it takes patience and lots of time to get the maximum OC. But for me atleast, when I get a new CPU, it takes me no more than an hour. COnsidering you already know your memories capabilities, and you dont OC your HT, I dont see how it can take long or be tideous at all.

Tell me if there is something wrong with my process. When I get a new CPU this is what I do.

Max out the vcore. Normally shoot for 1.55v.
Then I crank up the CPU clock till I cant boot into windows.
Then I start turning the vcore down little by little till I cant boot into windows.
Then I do a stability test.
Normally 1 or 2 adjustments after this.

Besides the stability test, I cant see spending more than an hour at my PC tweaking with settings.

--pak
So what's the question and what is it you need to know?
are you asking for help/advise, or are you making a statement?

sort of what I do, cept for cranking up the vcore.
I go as high as I can on default, small bump then push again.

The stability testing is what takes time.
I dont feel stability is reached till at LEAST 20 hours of Prime 95 and Memtest86

freeagent said:
well, i can tell you more vcore isnt always the answer. my old 3700 with a default of 1.4v, did not like more then 1.475v in the bios, it hit its peak stable clock at 1.45v, of course you could use as much vcore you want to get it to scale, but it doesnt mean its going to be stable. that same 3700 did 3ghz with 1.6v, but it wasnt prime stable past 2830 with 1.45. i had a 4400 that craved voltage, but it wasnt a stable cpu past 2600. then i had a 4200, core0 was such a pos, it topped at 2.5ish, but core1 would go to 2800. voltage couldnt fix that either. then theres core2, its such a pleasure to oc an intel.

I know this but im still sure he meant the FSB.But i know what you mean my X2 isnt %100 stable above 2500mhz and defualt vcore.At 2.7ghz and 1.5v its about 98% stable:bang head but more vcore doesnt help.Oh and i agree with you about intels i cant wait to try a core Duo or Quad core.I loved my 478 sockets.

Last edited:
Back