• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pen Drive Blues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Any one having data corruptions with pen drives (A.K.A. thumb drives, USB drives, etc.) ?

I've lost a file here and there before. Just today I lost and entire 2 GB drive. Fortunately, I was able to purchase a program to recover my data.

I'm wondering how wide spread this issue may be.

I've been telling clients that pen drives are good for transferring data only. Not for storage. My current pen drive is a San Disk Mini Cruzer 2 GB. I don't know that San Disk is any worse than any other brand. I've lost a Kingston 512 before that had to get RMA'd. I've also seen a batch of Simpletech 512's where about 6 units were bad.

I've had them get zapped by many things... EMP, Railguns, Microwaves, shocking it heavily.

Solid-State memory can easily be f'd up by many things...

I don't trust anything more then my OCZ Cruiser that I have in a little EMP shielded box. :bday:

SavageBasher said:
Yes, over 400 gigs. It probably is more like 420 or so, I need to take the time and organize it soon.

Dang. I'm only at 30gb and thats with about 5k songs. Although bitrates vary from 128 - 320.

Back