• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Kind of RAID Controller Do You Use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What kind of RAID controller do you use?

• Total voters
Slightly ambiguous poll ... For example, most non-SCSI "onboard RAID" such as Sil311*, NVidia, Intel, and Promise are software RAID. Same with many addon cards too - does a Promise TX2 fall under the "Promise RAID card" option or the "Software RAID" option? Better (IMO :) ) to have "OS-provided" instead of "Software" if that's what your intention was (to have an option for lvm, dynamic striping, raid-z, etc).

An hp badged 4 channel adaptec scsi in my main rig and a 3ware in my server.

not that raid protected my data... should have shut down on the first drive failure but no I had to order the replacement from my main rig :cry: <-- that does not express the devistation.

I will vote adaptec ..or other

I voted for intel matrix because I'm using an ICHR controller, but I'm using it in RAID 0 - not matrix RAID.

By intel matrix do we mean intel ICHR southbridge based? Or a "true" RAID 0 & 1 or RAID 0 & 5 matrix RAID setup?

I checked off 3 boxes since I have no clue what yatta means.

Promise EX8350 (promise)
Areca 1220 (other)
Windows XP soft raid hack (soft)

Silicon Image 3114 x2
Silicon Image 3112

All using kernel raid-0 - easily maxes out the PCI bus.

If I had money and enough will to live, I'd get a half-decent PCIe motherboard and ludicrous onboard raid. But I don't. 2.21TiB is plenty enough for me :D

Just dove into Hardware RAID. I bought an Areca 1210 PCIe-8x XOR RAID-5 Card with 4 Ports. It uses the Intel IOP332 processor and 128MB of DDR333 ECC RAM. Unfortunately - my PSU just died on me (right before the Areca card came in), so it will be a week or so before I get to fire up the RAID-5 array :( Shuld be pretty speedy and secure with 4x Seagate 320GB Perp's...

I also use onboard ICH7 RAID-0 for OS duties with 2x 36Gig Raptors. 6 total HD's are a tight fit in my case - but they do cram in there :p I also have a front-bay removeable caddy for backup... So 7 total drives at once plus FW HD's when needed :eek: I'm a bit OCD on HD's and backing up my data :) (8 Removeable caddies and 3 FW HD's)

I can't wait to get the Hardware RAID-5 running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid Power Supply :mad:

:cool:

Using the ICH7R raid controller on my Badaxe, RAID 0 with 2x WD800JDs and a single POS refurb WD2000JS 200gb sata for other stuff

Personal goal is one of those Areca cards in the PCI-E 4x slot and a few WD1500ADFD Raptors :)

~ Gos

What no Tekram? Not that I'm running one anymore, but my previous card was a Tekram, now I have a Dell branded LSI 21320 flashed to a genuine LSI 21320-R. Not that I'm actually using it for raid at the moment, lol.

Matrix. 2 WD 80gb's, 7200 SATA II's 50gb RAID0 for OS, installations, 50gb RAID1, downloads, pics, mp3's, etc.

Back