• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Console Campers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
On the way home from my dad's place today, I thought to myself: "I'ma check the local Futureshop to see if there are any campers.". I didn't honestly expect to see any. But, low and behold, there were a few! There were about 10 or 11 in all, all waiting for the PS3's launch on the 17th. I spoke with one of them briefly:

"What're you here for?"
"PS3, of course!"
"How long have you been here?"
"I got here at about 9:00 AM, but there were two guys here earlier than I was. I'm third in line. Aparantly, this store is getting 10 units, so I should get one."
"Right on. Good luck, brother!"

I don't think he realizes that those units are going to go to pre-order customers.

Tomorrow, I am going to go back and snap a few pictures. I'm also going to drive up to Best Buy and snap a couple there, too.

I checked my local EBGames, but nobody was camped out there. I guess they're either out or not getting any.

They had tents and grills and folding chairs and a couple of coolers and stuff, too. They were really in it for the long haul.

If anybody else have campers around, do me a favour and take a pic or two, and post it here. Just for something fun to do I guess :)

Honestly don't have time to camp for long myself, but I do hope to stop by Wal-Mart of Best Buy around 4 tomorrow and stay all night till they open. If I do end up staying all night and I see any other people I will try and snap a few pictures.

No one in the area is going to be in line for a PS3, 99.9% of what stores have is already going out to people.

The Wii looks to be getting a huge line everywhere, many stores nearby have many of them for sale.

Well, let's get some pics! Like I said, tomorrow I'ma go out and see what there is to see. We'll get a big thread going on it.

There were 5 tents setup with about 10-12 people at my local best buy when I went there yesterday. My understanding is Best Buy did not do pre-orders for them so they have reason to camp there.

Didn't have a camera on me so sorry, no pic.

With Black Friday so close this is going to be some rough times for the people at checkout in stores. Also yes Best Buy an Wal-mart at least in my area will not do pre orders.

As I approached the local Best Buy in St. Catharines, I noticed several little lean-to-esque groups.

bb1.jpg

There were a few people under clear plastic wrap, thoroughly enthralled with either their books or their Nintendo DS portables, and one group of about 5 under a red tarp. I passed by and entered the store.

After wandering for awhile, I headed on over to the service desk, to ask the floor manager a few questions.

"Hi there. Uh, this might be a little silly, but do you have any PS3 reservations left?"
"No, we actually didn't do the reservations this time. If you want one, you'll have to join the others in the line outside."
"The campers?"
"Yeah, those guys. They've been here about two days."
"I see. Out of curiosity, how many units are you getting?"
"I honestly don't know. We won't know until they arrive tonight."
"You're sure you don't know?"
"Yeah."
"Positive?"
"Yes, we don't know."
"100%?"
"100%. We don't know."
"Do you know if you're getting both models? The 60GB and the 20GB?"
"Yes! We're getting both of those. That I know for sure."
"Alright. Thank you for your time!"

With the interrogation done, I headed back outside. Flashing a friendly smile to the pretty girl working the greeting post at the front doors and saying a pleasant 'goodbye' as the doors slid open, and I moved back out into the elements.

I bypassed the people under the clear tarps, and headed right for the red lean-to. There was a gentleman outside of it, smoking a cigarette.

bb2.jpg

"How's it going, guys?"
"Not to bad, not to bad."
"****ty weather you're havin' for this, eh?"
"Yeah, it could be better."

I take a quick look around the chairs they are sitting on. Inside the tarp is relatively dry, but outside is a soggy mishmash of half-eaten donuts and wrappers, Tim Hortons' cups and trays, and strewn waterbottles. I edge a little closer.

"You're waiting for the PS3?"
"Yeah."
"All of you?"
"Yeah, all of us."

He was not rude. He seemed a very polite person, actually. I took a closer look into the lean-to. There are about 6 people total in the tent.

"You're all hoping to score?"
"We're hoping for three total."
"Three? What are you going to do with them?"
"Well . . . ." He hesitates for a moment "We're going to keep one for our dorm room, one for myself, and auction the last one and split the profit."
"Sounds like a plan, brother."
"Yeah, it'll help pay some bills." He replies.
"'bout two days now. Going on."
"Wow. Well, it looks like you guys are set."

bb3.jpg

Leaning against the wall are a few hockey sticks, some poker chips, and there is also a soccer ball to kick around. The only thing that mystifies me is the vacuum cleaner attachment. Maybe it's to vacuum themselves before they enter the store? Dunno, and I didn't ask. I Thanked them for their time, wished them luck and headed on my way back to my car. I also spied this:

bb4.jpg

It might be theirs, but I don't know. I snapped a pic anyways.

Homeward bound, I took the exit off of the highway and headed to the Futureshop. Futureshop, for those who may not know, was once a Canadian company, but is now owned by Best Buy. The merger was to aid in getting the Best Buy chain into Canada, and help the Futureshop chain penetrate the US. It's been working, I think. This is the scene from my approach:

fs1.jpg

From the eleven there were the prior night, we're down to about six or so. Perhaps they realize that they're probably not going to get what they want. I bypass them for now and head into the store.

I wander around the games section a bit, taking in what there is to see. There isn't much. No PS3 or Wii titles on display yet. No hardware or peripherals, either. A pretty associate approaches me shortly after I make my way around the gaming merchandise the first time.

"Anything I can help you with?"
"Yeah, this might be a stupid question, but do you have any PS3 pre-orders left?"
"No. We didn't do the pre-order thing here. If you want one you'll have to wait in line with the other guys."
"Well, can you tell me how many the store is getting?"
"Not many. About six or eight, I think." She's far more liberal with the info than the lady at Best Buy. I decide to push my luck a bit.
"Do you know wether or not you're getting both the 60GB and 20GB models?"
"Yep! We're getting both here."
"Do you know how many of each?"
"No. Probably more of the larger ones than the smaller ones, though."
"Alright. What about Wii hardware?"
"We'll be getting more of those. About 35 or so."
"Do you have any of the peripherals for sale yet?"
"Let me check . . . " She trails off and starts walking to a different section of the games merchandise. "Nope, none of it is out yet."
"When can you expect it out?"
"I would guess by Saturday, seeing as the console goes on sale Sunday morning. We're also doing a bundle thing too, so they may not go out until the release date, just so people can get everything they want."
"I see."

I thank her profusely, flash a smile and leave the store. She was far more helpful than her blue-shirted counterpart.

I approach two of the guys waiting in line. I'm met with a little hostility at first; they probably think I'm here to rob them of their spots in line.

fs2.jpg

"You guys waiting for the PS3?"
"Yeah."
"How long you been here."
"Since 9:00 AM on the 15th."
"Really? That long?"
"Yeah. I'm first in line, he's second." He points to the gentleman wearing a set of headphones, plugged into a black iPod Video.
"Well, I just talked to a lady in the store, and she said that they're only getting six or eight of the things, so I guess you guys'll be the ones to get them. What're you planning on doing with them?"
"Uh . . . I'd love to keep it, but I checked eBay today." says Headphones "Their going for $3000! So I think I'll sell it."
"Really, eh? You're not going to keep it."

At this point Headphones and Sleeping Bag (he is outside of the first shot, 'cause he's on the ground) get into a conversation about hourly rates. Headphones thinks he's making approximately $100/hr. I think he's sorely mistaken. I keep this to myself and press on.

"Mind if I take a few pictures?"
"What for?"
"A gaming weblog. Ever heard of Destructoid?"
"No. I'll look it up when I get home though. Fire away."

fs3.jpg

It's a bit neater than the Best Buy, 'cause this place has a bit of an overhang for them to take cover under. The debris is a little less soggy, but it's still prominent. There's a November 16 Toronto Sun, open to the Sunshine Girl on the black mat. Water bottles are strewn about. Headphones has several fresh stains on his jacket, probably from coffee or hot chocolate. I thank them and take my leave. Just then, one of their friends comes out.

"What're you doing?" He shouts over.
"Just asking some questions, taking some pictures"
"What for?"
"A Gaming Weblog."
"A gaming blog, eh?"
"Yeah." I reply as I re-approach.

fs4.jpg

"What're you going to do with your PS3?"
"I'ma juice it and sell it!" He responds energetically.
"How much you think you'll get for it?"
"I'ma slap a 120GB in it, so pro'lly a bit more than a 60 unit. I'll tell them, if they don't like that it doesn't have Wi-fi, don't bid on it! Wi-fi ****in' sucks for gaming anyways. The only way to game is hard-wired."

I guess he's planning on swapping the 20GB drive out of the low-end unit and replacing it with a 120GB drive. I'm not exactly sure what is involved, but I don't think it'll be terribly easy. I don't press him for more.

"Well good luck, brother. Thanks for your time."

With that, I head off.

Hey Oni! I just thought of something... how bout we all go to our local BB's, CCs, and w/e place else that's selling them and take pics of the ppl camping out! Muhuhahaha.

Maybe I'll put my camera phone to use.

Damn, investigative reporter Oni. Kudos to you, I'd never talk to those dredges of society. I saw a couple tents at the BB and CC in Hamilton on my way in to work this morning. Just shook my head.....

At one California 24 hour Wal mart they had to close due to the mayhem, and the police came in and wrote $400 tickets to everyone that had a tent pitched.

Here's a Link to the video

Oni said:
As I approached the local Best Buy in St. Catharines, I noticed several little lean-to-esque groups.

bb1.jpg

There were a few people under clear plastic wrap, thoroughly enthralled with either their books or their Nintendo DS portables, and one group of about 5 under a red tarp. I passed by and entered the store.

After wandering for awhile, I headed on over to the service desk, to ask the floor manager a few questions.

"Hi there. Uh, this might be a little silly, but do you have any PS3 reservations left?"
"No, we actually didn't do the reservations this time. If you want one, you'll have to join the others in the line outside."
"The campers?"
"Yeah, those guys. They've been here about two days."
"I see. Out of curiosity, how many units are you getting?"
"I honestly don't know. We won't know until they arrive tonight."
"You're sure you don't know?"
"Yeah."
"Positive?"
"Yes, we don't know."
"100%?"
"100%. We don't know."
"Do you know if you're getting both models? The 60GB and the 20GB?"
"Yes! We're getting both of those. That I know for sure."
"Alright. Thank you for your time!"

With the interrogation done, I headed back outside. Flashing a friendly smile to the pretty girl working the greeting post at the front doors and saying a pleasant 'goodbye' as the doors slid open, and I moved back out into the elements.

I bypassed the people under the clear tarps, and headed right for the red lean-to. There was a gentleman outside of it, smoking a cigarette.

bb2.jpg

"How's it going, guys?"
"Not to bad, not to bad."
"****ty weather you're havin' for this, eh?"
"Yeah, it could be better."

I take a quick look around the chairs they are sitting on. Inside the tarp is relatively dry, but outside is a soggy mishmash of half-eaten donuts and wrappers, Tim Hortons' cups and trays, and strewn waterbottles. I edge a little closer.

"You're waiting for the PS3?"
"Yeah."
"All of you?"
"Yeah, all of us."

He was not rude. He seemed a very polite person, actually. I took a closer look into the lean-to. There are about 6 people total in the tent.

"You're all hoping to score?"
"We're hoping for three total."
"Three? What are you going to do with them?"
"Well . . . ." He hesitates for a moment "We're going to keep one for our dorm room, one for myself, and auction the last one and split the profit."
"Sounds like a plan, brother."
"Yeah, it'll help pay some bills." He replies.
"'bout two days now. Going on."
"Wow. Well, it looks like you guys are set."

bb3.jpg

Leaning against the wall are a few hockey sticks, some poker chips, and there is also a soccer ball to kick around. The only thing that mystifies me is the vacuum cleaner attachment. Maybe it's to vacuum themselves before they enter the store? Dunno, and I didn't ask. I Thanked them for their time, wished them luck and headed on my way back to my car. I also spied this:

bb4.jpg

It might be theirs, but I don't know. I snapped a pic anyways.

Homeward bound, I took the exit off of the highway and headed to the Futureshop. Futureshop, for those who may not know, was once a Canadian company, but is now owned by Best Buy. The merger was to aid in getting the Best Buy chain into Canada, and help the Futureshop chain penetrate the US. It's been working, I think. This is the scene from my approach:

fs1.jpg

From the eleven there were the prior night, we're down to about six or so. Perhaps they realize that they're probably not going to get what they want. I bypass them for now and head into the store.

I wander around the games section a bit, taking in what there is to see. There isn't much. No PS3 or Wii titles on display yet. No hardware or peripherals, either. A pretty associate approaches me shortly after I make my way around the gaming merchandise the first time.

"Anything I can help you with?"
"Yeah, this might be a stupid question, but do you have any PS3 pre-orders left?"
"No. We didn't do the pre-order thing here. If you want one you'll have to wait in line with the other guys."
"Well, can you tell me how many the store is getting?"
"Not many. About six or eight, I think." She's far more liberal with the info than the lady at Best Buy. I decide to push my luck a bit.
"Do you know wether or not you're getting both the 60GB and 20GB models?"
"Yep! We're getting both here."
"Do you know how many of each?"
"No. Probably more of the larger ones than the smaller ones, though."
"Alright. What about Wii hardware?"
"We'll be getting more of those. About 35 or so."
"Do you have any of the peripherals for sale yet?"
"Let me check . . . " She trails off and starts walking to a different section of the games merchandise. "Nope, none of it is out yet."
"When can you expect it out?"
"I would guess by Saturday, seeing as the console goes on sale Sunday morning. We're also doing a bundle thing too, so they may not go out until the release date, just so people can get everything they want."
"I see."

I thank her profusely, flash a smile and leave the store. She was far more helpful than her blue-shirted counterpart.

I approach two of the guys waiting in line. I'm met with a little hostility at first; they probably think I'm here to rob them of their spots in line.

fs2.jpg

"You guys waiting for the PS3?"
"Yeah."
"How long you been here."
"Since 9:00 AM on the 15th."
"Really? That long?"
"Yeah. I'm first in line, he's second." He points to the gentleman wearing a set of headphones, plugged into a black iPod Video.
"Well, I just talked to a lady in the store, and she said that they're only getting six or eight of the things, so I guess you guys'll be the ones to get them. What're you planning on doing with them?"
"Uh . . . I'd love to keep it, but I checked eBay today." says Headphones "Their going for $3000! So I think I'll sell it."
"Really, eh? You're not going to keep it."

At this point Headphones and Sleeping Bag (he is outside of the first shot, 'cause he's on the ground) get into a conversation about hourly rates. Headphones thinks he's making approximately $100/hr. I think he's sorely mistaken. I keep this to myself and press on.

"Mind if I take a few pictures?"
"What for?"
"A gaming weblog. Ever heard of Destructoid?"
"No. I'll look it up when I get home though. Fire away."

fs3.jpg

It's a bit neater than the Best Buy, 'cause this place has a bit of an overhang for them to take cover under. The debris is a little less soggy, but it's still prominent. There's a November 16 Toronto Sun, open to the Sunshine Girl on the black mat. Water bottles are strewn about. Headphones has several fresh stains on his jacket, probably from coffee or hot chocolate. I thank them and take my leave. Just then, one of their friends comes out.

"What're you doing?" He shouts over.
"Just asking some questions, taking some pictures"
"What for?"
"A Gaming Weblog."
"A gaming blog, eh?"
"Yeah." I reply as I re-approach.

fs4.jpg

"What're you going to do with your PS3?"
"I'ma juice it and sell it!" He responds energetically.
"How much you think you'll get for it?"
"I'ma slap a 120GB in it, so pro'lly a bit more than a 60 unit. I'll tell them, if they don't like that it doesn't have Wi-fi, don't bid on it! Wi-fi ****in' sucks for gaming anyways. The only way to game is hard-wired."

I guess he's planning on swapping the 20GB drive out of the low-end unit and replacing it with a 120GB drive. I'm not exactly sure what is involved, but I don't think it'll be terribly easy. I don't press him for more.

"Well good luck, brother. Thanks for your time."

With that, I head off.

Man, those people are such slobs. They all should get tickets for littering.

Camping out with friends when you are a kid in high school or college to get one could be fun, but those people causing problems at Walmart (generally a pretty trashy crowd anyway) and the late 20's and up need to get a life, get a job and learn to use a freakin trash bag.

These retail stores are stupid for allowing shanty towns to spring up over a product that you could just put names down on a list for anyway. You have to wonder how much of this camping is forced for media attention versus doing preorders or making a simple waiting list.

Some guy sold his spot in line at Best Buy for $1000.00 bucks where I live, it was on the news.

The Wal Mart close to me only received 12 units, not sure about the others in the area.

Also the same Best Buy had a drive by shooting already, but it was with a BB gun, lol...no joke.

Went today but was to camped to even attempt and stay so just got a a few pictures and left. Wal-mart which I forgot to get pictures of had around 40 people at 7PM. Best Buy on the other hand I could not count heads as there was to many tents blocking my view, however there were probably around 10-15 tents with 3+ per tent. The photos are pretty bad and I could not get the whole area as I was in a hurry.
4PM Best Buy
1116061546hr8.jpg

8PM Best Buy
1116061953ass6.jpg

Back