• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 165 @ 2.6Ghz Vs. E6300 Stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mista ting

How would a Opteron 165 @ Around 2.6Ghz compare to a E6300 @ stock? would it be on the same level or better fps wise? im trying to decide if its worth going to the cheap 165 route... any one have links to benches for the Opteron 165 while OC'd thx

Well my comparison..

My old Opty 170 @ 2.6 compared to my E6600 at stock.

My E6600 was ~15% faster at stock then the Opty. It would require the Opteron to be at ~2.76Ghz to match its speed. The amd setup would have to be nearly 3.9Ghz to match what I have currently.

Still need to add in the price of a video card.

How fast does a stock 6300 do SPI 1m? I think my Opty does 29seconds, but that is OC'ed.

Either way it's a new cpu/mobo and vpu. 165 is what... 165ish new now(ZZF)? Mobo is about 80 also. But he doesn't have to buy new ram.

Maviryk said:

How fast does a stock 6300 do SPI 1m? I think my Opty does 29seconds, but that is OC'ed.

Either way it's a new cpu/mobo and vpu. 165 is what... 165ish new now(ZZF)? Mobo is about 80 also. But he doesn't have to buy new ram.

Oh not talking about AM2.. Just 939 socket then.

Umm probably about the same as that Opty OCed. Remeber though Intel has an advantage in SPI times though. Besides thats just a bench, if you want more of a system bench you'll have to use something like PCMark and 3DMark.

Maviryk said:

true, true.

165 is still a pretty nice cpu.

really tho, if you shuffle around your stuff, sell the agp card (this is what i did) and such, then you can break even. might as well get some money for that gear while you still can.

Heh I still feel that the A64s breaking down the memory access bottleneck make up for their lesser raw processing power in game performance enough not to be completely smoked ;)

Would I like a c2d system yes do I really need it since my x2 @ 2.75 does everything i throw @ it No .

But if i was building from scratch I would go intel .

mista ting said:
thx for the input i think im gona go for the opty is the multi unlocked on those?

Only downwards. FX was the only chip that had unlocked multi's.

Hehe. I'm very satisfied with my Opty. Not the best stepping.. but chuggs along at 2.8 just fine. My limitation is my crappy mobo... but... what can you expect out of an Matx board?

Back