• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd 2700xp to e6400 upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timtooAMD

hi everyone, ive been wanting to upgrade my computer for a long time now, think my sig might need to be updated but its pretty much the same, 2700xp at stock (2.166) i think 2gig 2700 ram and a 6800gt AGP

what i am planning to do is to slowly upgrade my mechine, over say a year or so (because i am a student, and i have the money (just about) but best to spred it out over a long time, and also means if i run short on cash, i can just halt spending money on my computer for a bit

basiclly i play a lot of games, really want to have top end but no way can i afford more than £350 at the present time, so what i was planning to do was to get e6400, and a agp mobo, and to use my graphics card for a while till i have more money to really go for a pcie setup (seen agp core 2 duo boreds for around £40), as i do some video editing, little bit of photo shop, downloading and general messing around on my computer stuff

but i wanted to know peoples opionons, i know that a 6800gt would be a bottle neck, but its not at the moment, my processor limits me at present, but i dont know what ram i should get, so far the only AGP 775 boreds supporting core 2 duo seem to only get max of ddr 400, and going from 2gig 333 to 512/1 gig poss 400 i thought would not be worth it, i was wondering if anybody else has ever done a slow upgrade, graduly replacing parts every few months or so?

overclocking i would like to do, but not untill i have full setup so mobo only needs to really take desent ram/agp at present

what do you think? - and also has anybody ever noticed a sig improvement from anything close to my AMD 2700+ xp to a 2duo?

or, as i fogot to add, would it be better to go for a petium 4 (excuse my spelling) high end D as they are cheaper setups at present, but then again not as good as the new intels

I understand why you want to upgrade in stages, but you'll end up spending more in the long run doing that. You'll have to start out with a marginal motherboard to run DDR and AGP. By the time you get a new PCI-E vid card and decent DDR2, you'll need to upgrade motherboard too. If I was doing this, I would buy good components one at a time as I could offord them, CPU, motherboard, RAM, vid card, then build the system when I have all the components. You can probably get more out of your old system as a combo too.

What batboy said. Set a price watch on your components, and buy them 1 at a time. Watch for rebates and free shipping deals. You can probably save quite a bit that way.

that seems like a possible idea, buying them over a while, might take a bit more planning on components i think, but the thing is i really enjoy the whole puting bits together, adding an upgrade, dont wanna sound sad but i like it, i wouldn;t say im a geek or anything but its nice to be able to spend a bit, and enjoy it. but i might look into how much i would spend both ways, for a long upgrade path, or just buying all the bits over a while.

I agree it would be better to sell off your computer now and then to put all the money together toward a new PCIe board and card and DDR2 RAM

Just my $0.02

Back